The difference between a pro trumpet player and an amateur?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Apr 16, 2013.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Just got back from my appt. with an ENT in Nashville who specializes in musicians. In the course of the exam he mentioned that a friend of his had done a study of what goes on in the oral cavity while playing brass instruments. The Houston Symphony brass players and other brass players who do not perform at a professional level were used in this study. One major difference that was noted is that the pro players play with their vocal chords wide open. Those who do not play at that level have them at least partially closed.

Hmmm.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Depends how you were taught.

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I conclude the chief difference is the number of quality gigs, not forgetting counting the money when you get home.

4. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Talent? Dedication? Practice?

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Practice, practice,practice:oops:

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I believe one factor to take into account was the use of professional orchestral players. There are times we need a compact sound and times we need the sound to roll out the bell, like a big soft sound pillow. In order to achieve this we need a relaxed but working body, good posture and good breathing. Relaxation is as important as tension when playing loudly.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I tend to agree with the findings of the study. It is ONE factor. If you constrict the air flow in your throat it seems to me that you would then not get sufficiently "supported" air flow to the embouchure. What happens to the flow through a fire hose if you constrict the middle of it? (oh, boy. I can almost feel the mathematical and physical analysis about ready to fly here)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have seen comparison studies between pros and amateurs that look at breathing differences and lip placement on the mouthpiece. These too showed differences as well. I believe with experience (many above call this practice) you find the technique that is ideal, based on feedback from sensory nerve receptors in your lips that feedback to both breathing centers in the brain and local motor tone of the lip muscles.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    He's gotta get more exciting friends... perhaps one that plays golf!:dontknow:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the difference between a pro --- is they are motivated, energetic, and WANT TO PERFORM their trumpet skills in front of strangers. Now us amatuers, well we are underachievers, would rather stay at home reading a good book on a Saturday night, and could care less if we have a gig, or if only the cat or dog is our audience, because we are certain the cat or the dog will not have any critical critique of our playing ---- neither the cat or dog will applaude, and we just realize, IT IS NOT because they don't appreciate us and our playing, they just don't have hands!!! ---- now if an audience of strangers are capable of clapping and then didn't -- that would hurt our fragile amateur ego's.