The difference between a pro trumpet player and an amateur?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Apr 16, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No!!!! No!!!! Not the BIG SOFT PILLOW!!! This is torture, not relaxation: Permit me do demonstrate:
    Monty Python - Spanish Inquisition Torture Scene - YouTube

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The big soft pillows are aimed at the conductor, after all. Well, sometimes aimed at violists.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, KT I could care less about having a gig on the weekends, but I'll not consider myself either pro or con (amateur) as to my abilities to play brass instruments. I simply enjoy such, and that's enough for me.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Interesting, one of the things that prompted me to take a serious crack at a trumpet comeback was when I picked up my old trumpet after a couple of years of singing lessons, it felt very easy to play and despite the lack of "lip", within a few days, my range was better, with fuller tone through that range than it was 25 years back.

Maybe we should consider cross-training as part of our practice routines. Treat the other members of your household to the joys of vocal warmups and badly done Italian arias :-)

5. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    The difference between pros and amateurs is the amateurs usually make a better living.:-)

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Best post I've read in years! :D

Back to a prior comment about attitude. It is true, that pros present themselves to their audience in a way that
    the audience appreciates. But, I don't think the "positive feedback" is just for pros. I receive more positive comments in
    one Easter gig than I will from my "real" job as a SW developer in a year; even though I don't make 1/10 of my income via
    the trumpet.

Not sure where I was going, just saying that positive feedback is a very rewarding, therapeutic thing that anyone will
    appreciate, regardless of their professional status.

Another thing I've noticed playing in successful bands, particularly rock, is that when you hit the stage you switch from
    <insert day job> to an entertainer. If you are "skilled" you can put on a good show at night even though you may have
    had a really bad day a "work". Maybe that's a property of being a pro?

GZ

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    KT, if your ego has survived all the hits it has taken on TM, I think you are safe

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah!!! Can you believe all those nasty attacks on poor good 'ol KT.

Oh the humanity!!! Oh the humanity!!!

9. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    i've been giving some thought about this. today, my primary answer is consistency.
    my hope is also that improving the foundation will help to improve consistency.

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    When I play in the countryside, my audience claps hands:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013