The difference between a pro trumpet player and an amateur?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Apr 16, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do not know about this... when I was teaching beginner trumpet players I had quit a few that played mediocre with consistency... the ones that would not practice from week to week.

2. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    Yep. I considered that. But my thought is that they won't get work and become a pro. As well, no one would hire someone who's going to sparkle and then flub unpredictably.

As well, they may not need to be more than mediocre for the gig or band. As long as they can produce what the leader likes consistently, they'll be asked back.

Certainly, I recognize there are a couple other factors involved, but, for me, this was a big frustration of mine - being consistently inconsistent. (Padum pah)

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you mean you guys haven't been laughing with me all these years??? certainly, I am such a better person that I am NOT laughing at you guys -- laughing with you!!! -- besides, I can play higher notes than most of you on my trumpet, and albeit (not that many of you double on the trombone) but my skills on the trombone will rival most anyone on TM -------------------- then again, I practice a lot!!!! unlike the rest of you peeps here, who spend way too much time on social activities instead of practice!!!! ---- you poor peeps, so sad, so very sad!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Great point...

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND I am certainly glad it was nothing I said, 'cause I toe the line when it comes to respecting emotion and feelings, yep that's me... Dr. Feelgood:roll:

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I finally learned the true difference between an amateur and a professional ... me and them. In essence such is not anything for me to worry about now.

7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    About $50.00 and hour.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I am assuming an amateur earns nothing per hour and your hourly earnings is less than mine by $10.00> $70.00 and I now bill at 1.72 times that so as to cover expenses ... and thus I can take the actual expense part of my bill as a tax exemption. If a Gig is commercial, they would take my entire bill as a tax expense exemption.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Cash!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The professional reports the earnings to the IRS, the amateur pockets it and no one is the wiser.