The difference between a pro trumpet player and an amateur?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't bet on that. If whoever pays you gets audited, it quite a possibility you will also. Dad was an IRS audit inspector.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Got noting to worry about Ed. Keep an Excel file on all my gig earnings and dates, and location. AND I always declare this income to the IRS and pay my fair share to the American Public.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Everyone reports the earnings to the IRS. That's the law.

4. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Pro = derives more than 50% of income from activity.

Therefore if you make more than half your income from playing trumpet, you're a professional. You may not be good, but you're making money at it...

I see lots of comments on the differences between the quality comparison between two players and using that criteria to define "professional" and "amateur."
    To me - this makes no sense. That comparison is the difference between what constitutes a good player from a not so good player...

...just my opinions here, of course.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    It's the law, we have to follow the law.

On the other hand, if we all followed the law, you would not have had a job.

"such is life................."

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ED - my Dad and I have a small roadside stand -- albeit mostly we sell food products (which may or may not be taxable) -- but I think of it like this ----- We have a mandatory "donation" for the eggs, honey and other stuff we sell. THE IRS??? they have enough money!!!!!!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YEAH -- and it feels GREAT!!!!! ((even in my community band we get paid --- mostly in ice cream, and an occasional meal)) --- and I never report this either, and I still feel GREAT!!!!

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    That is interesting. I think I read somewhere about the better saxophones having to use their vocal chords to hit the notes above a certain range, maybe high G, where they can't really get with just the keys or embouchure. I have also notice there is some technical overlap between, falsetto technique and higher register trumpet technique. IE faster air means higher notes.

9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Mr. Herbert L. Clarke, is it sing or whistle your way to a double high C?

10. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    PRO--doesn't say things like, "5 flats?? ARE THEY NUTS??"

AMATEUR--thinks too much (I consider myself a pro-caliber player, having done a small number of professional gigs, but I've at times been guilty of thinking too much myself!!)

PRO--isn't obsessed with hitting a double C

AMATEUR--is obsessed with hitting a double C

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013