The effect more "air" has on the trumpets tonal color

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 25, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was playing around with my older Holton this past weekend. I was having one of those days where I could get a nice tone with very little air. the trumpet had a really nice "core" sound. I notice horns brighten up when I accerate the air flow and also when I play louder. Some horns seem to be more sensitive to this. Some horns take alot of work to have them do it as well.
    I have known this somewhat for years but this time the core sound seemed alot stronger.
    Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms why or how a trumpet works like that?

gmonady likes this.
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would think it would creat more of a resonance in the standing wave intrinsic to the characteristics of the brass, but I will yield to Rowuk's as the last word on this topic. Until then... any other theories out there.

Man coolerdave, you have been hitting on some pretty cool[er] reflective topics the past 24. Check your rep point column. You ARE the coolerdave.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    probably the effects of all those long tones ... or the effect the standing waves are having on the synapses in my brain.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

It's just being difficult. Trumpets have a real attitude ..... They work the way they want to work, when they feel like it. :dontknow:

Turtle

coolerdave likes this.
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That's the kind of quote that can make you famous .... put it in your signature .... heck I might even steal it