The effect of the airstream angle and different mouthpieces.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 17, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have been playing on a GR mouthpiece for the past few days. While I am playing I feel like the horn lights up when I focus the airstream towards the center of the mouthpiece. It seems to be more sensitive than the Bach I was using.
    thoughts?

2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    While not an expert, my trumpet teacher has stressed that very simple action. The mouthpiece may have a different bore or backbore (not sure what affects what) and may have a more comfortable feel than the Bach. This may assist in relaxing that jaw and direct more air flow to the center of the mouthpiece. Regardless, keep focusing on your breathing until it becomes reflexive.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It likes you!

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I don't play GR mouthpieces,but I have played Bach's. My guess would be that the GR is more of a V shape cup than the Bach's bowl shape.If cup depths are the same the V will usually take less air to fill.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK - coolerdave -- ((no this is not an attempt to get you to change mouthpieces - if you got one that works for you that is awesome))
    BUT - John Lynch of the asymmetric mpc, has a pretty decent article and some technical physics behind the mouthpiece and why he designed his -
    *****this is for educational material only - and it is up to any trumpet player to decide his/her preference in mouthpieces*******ROFL

anyways there are also a few reference to other "physics" of the mouthpiece articles on the website -- just an educational FYI
    The New Asymmetric Trumpet Mouthpiece

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The airflow has NOTHING to do with the air having a "direct" path to the mouthpiece throat. If there is an improvement, it is because YOUR face geometry likes the tongue where it is when you play that way.

The air itself has a lot of turbulence in the mouthpiece cup due to the switch type action of the lips (not vibrating, rather open-close). That turbulence actually helps to support the lips - especially with shallower mouthpieces and appropriate embouchures.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I am a GR dealer. (But NOT a consultant).
    Here is a link to some GR cups with the 3C type rim.
    http://www.grmouthpieces.com/lay3mx-vc-hc.pdf
    The MX cup is not a V shape, but is a unique design by GR. It has a 27 throat (As most of GRs do) and a large #3 backbore. That backbore is larger than a Bach 10 and is a different shape than that a Bach 24 yet it is a large, open backbore.
    Coolerdave, I am going to give you the following advice which is the same as I give to all my
    clients.
    Put your other mouthpieces away and do NOT switch back and forth. Give the MX a couple of weeks to see if it is right for you.
    If it is - and it certainly may be - right for you, the benefits of GRs designs will become more and more obvious.
    The MX is a good "all-around" mouthpiece for Bb and C trumpet. It projects very well and has a very clear sound.
    Rich T.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @richtom .. actually not switching back and forth .. but I did want to evauate the differences. The site has so much technical speak it can be overwelming. What I did get was that the alpha angle is really critical to how the mouthpiece "sits" on the embrouchure and how I play it.. which is pretty much what Robin was speaking about.
    @Tobylou8 .... absolutely
    I think it's interesting that the GR site said this mouthpiece seems to be favored by Bb/C players .. I feel it has a pure tone but I love how my Bach resonates with it ... the richest color spectrum I have been able to get out of it.... when I get on it though it is a monster. I would love to try this in a big band setting as a lead player ... it would bore right through and sing.
    still inthe honeymoon stage rigth now..

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Oh, my! Now I know why so many can not be comfortable with a double cup mpc like a Parduba, but I'll not tell. Well, maybe it has something to do with aperture. Still, the target of your air is most effective when directed right down the throat and the speed of it has an effect on pitch. I have played so many mpcs on different brass, that I believe backbores only shape colour of the tone as controlled by individual players viz some like a larger bore and some like a smaller tighter bore, but as yet no mfr has claimed that any mpc is universal for all ... which explains why they make them with so many variables. For me, I just make do with whatever is comfortable and don't worry about what else there is.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You know Ed.. I actually never paid much attention to all the engineering and specs ... it wasn't until I notice some things about playing with the GR did I go to their website ... it's a great website if you enjoy physics and graphs ... way over my head.