The effects of Foods and Drink, etc. on trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlhend2002, Jul 17, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thank you Al! great post.

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Yeah - what HE said!

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    banana for potassium, a small steak (rare) with 2 eggs sunny side up, heated soy sauce with finely chopped ghost or habanero pepper in the sauce which is drizzled on the eggs and steak.
    Here's what I avoid:
    Vitamin water pomagranate. It does something weird to the inside of my mouth and lips and makes it hard to get the lips vibrating.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Al sez:
    What's with all the hocus-pocus, mumbo- jumbo about performing on the trumpet? It's mainly superstition ,like the ball player's lucky socks, you're a pro, you go out and do what you're paid for.
    -----------
    We are all creatures of emotion and superstition.
    Otherwise we'd tax the church, and poke fun at Jordan, Michelle Kwan and the other 10,000 athletes who refuse to perform without their rituals and special things. As for me, I'll take any edge I can get.
    If carrying a coin or a trinket will help me think I can do it, well.. that can be the tiny bit that separates me from those who are just as good.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    The only thing I avoid is salty snacks (cheesy puffs, potato chips etc). I find it makes my lips feel weird and tingly. Maybe because I have huge cupid's bow that is very sensitive to almost anything

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I try to avoid real salty or greasy foods. the salt makes my lips retain water and grease, well slip and slide. Other than that I'm kind of a Dennis Brain about eating before meals. Some of you will be old enogh to get this!

7. Sam24

Sam24 New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    Wow...trumpet players are so fragile. Im with Al. Just play...:play: I found our society in general gets freaked out about eating certain types of food to dispel negative energy and maintain a sound mind and body. Thats all well and good until you start telling your brain that eating this or that is going to ruin you or if you don't eat this or that then you'll have negative energy which will eventually create a black hole in your stomach and your entire body will collapse. :roll:

Just eat sensibly like Rowuk said the body is resilient. Trust it. The better question about food and drink and the trumpet is how long to wait before playing or whether to rinse or brush before you play just because I wouldn't want to get food particles all inside my horn. I've been told to brush everytime before you play but again I think thats just freaking out again. I find that saliva does the trick in dissolving food and drinking some water 30 minutes after eating works well. What about for you guys?

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    When we play for the Elks they feed us first, so we take what we get. My only rule is no alcohol. And, since I don't like sticky valves, I carry a toothbrush in one of the horn cases. I also rinse my mouth with hot coffee and then ice water. I have to pee at every break, but it's worth it.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Maybe I am thick (or a wimp) but I fail to see what about eating or not eating, or having alcohol or not, or hydrating, before playing, is hocus-pocus. The OP had made some personally valid observations over his years of playing, as have most of us. Because we choose to note those things in our posted responses, Big Al :play: decides we are ingaging in mumbo-jumbo and the red and green moderateurs positively reinforce it.:thumbdown:

Oh, you guys are just so macho, says this wuss. NOT!!!!:-P now where's that darn rabbit's foot?

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There's nothing hocus-pocus about it - when I was playing and performing daily, I started to notice direct correlations between what I ate and how it affected my playing. This isn't to say I was delicate and that I played poorly if I ate something that adversely affected my playing, but only that I noticed that there was in fact an effect and that certain aspects of my playing were easier or more difficult depending on those factors.

Some people are more aware of these kinds of things, and they aren't limited to the trumpet. As an example, I get migraine headaches and I know at this point that there are certain foods and stimuli that trigger them. As a result, there are things that I no longer do and foods that I no longer eat. Why should playing trumpet be any different?