The effects of Foods and Drink, etc. on trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlhend2002, Jul 17, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Al does make a very good point.

The human state has plenty of things to "worry" about and common sense things do get more than their fair share of the limelite.

Except for allergies, the key to food is moderation. The original post mentions salt, fat, artificial ingredients as detrimental. None of these things in small doses is going to hurt anything.

Maybe we need to qualify how MUCH we need to ingest before problems start? One whole bag of potato chips with cream cheese dip really reduces my performance. But a medium sized salad with strips of steak(salt and fat) or a Coke (artificial and sugar) doesn't.

Let's keep the responses in line with each posters intention. Pigging out is pretty dumb before a major gig, but a glass of wine before a Brandenburg Concerto#2 has been all the dope that I have ever needed.

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I have what I believe I have is a different perspective. I normally try to get in two practice sessions, one early before dinner and one afterwards. I always try to eat modestly so that I do not practice on a full stomach. Dinner went late one night and even though I ate modestly I could feel a slight distension in my stomach during practice. The greatest thing happened. I used that feeling to get the kinaesthetic of breathing and pushing air from the belly upwards while remaining relaxed from the chest up. It really drove home the sensation that I am supposed to feel when breathing and steady breath support in general. I now generally like that feeling.

Best Wishes,

David

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's a great point. I mentioned that I noticed correlations between what I ate and how it affected my playing. During the time this occurred, I was a single Army Bandsman without a car, and so I spent a fair amount of time walking over to the post theater and taking in a movie, which often included popcorn. Movie popcorn is fairly salty, and could easily be said to be excessive in sodium. This was the first food that I ate where I noticed a direct relationship between what I had eaten the day before and how it affect my playing.

FWIW, when I was running all the time I noticed that ice cream seemed to slow me down the next day too.

4. Doctor Squeak

Doctor Squeak Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2010
    "What's with all the hocus-pocus, mumbo- jumbo about performing on the trumpet?"

Gotta agree with Al - But maybe try red beans and rice, like Louis...

5. Sam24

Sam24 New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    Or some pot. It facilitated Armstrong's "high" range. Eating oily foods actually makes your fingers move faster and your valves smoother. If you want a bolder/darker sound eat some dark chocolate and/or coffee with no cream. Add sugar or try milk chocolate if you want a sweeter sound.

6. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    yes, and some hot mexican chile-peppers for that Mariachi-Sound...:D

7. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010

Anything with BEANS in it makes me sound like I'm playing 2 trumpets at once...............:dontknow:

8. Doctor Squeak

Doctor Squeak Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2010
    Salt Peanuts, Salt Peanuts!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sausage quiesce is hard to get out of a lead-pipe let alone the amato (true story,not mine thankfully)ROFLROFLROFL!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Awwwww, now you blokes are getting silly. :shock: