THE EQUINOX!!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Buzz, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Buzz

Buzz New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    McDonough, GA
    I'm wondering who (besides myself) has an Equinox? I AM ALSO WONDERING HOW LEIGH CAN ALLOW THIS THREAD TO CONTINUE WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A SYLLABLE COMING FROM HIM ABOUT OUR GREAT LITTLE HORN! :?: I have lurked in silence allowing you guys to ramble on and on about Eclipse trumpets without even the first mention of my Equinox. WELL... Silence be damned. It's my turn now. :D

[​IMG]

Just look at that pic. Isn't it beautiful!!! That's MY horn.

If you've played the Equinox, you know that it plays a little differently, and that it takes some getting used to. I experience it as being slippery. In other words, it's pretty easy slide around because the slots are closer together. At first I thought it was not a good thing, but now I play my Equinox exclusively. And that's saying something because I have a really nice collection of horns... A great Bach 37 that sizzles. AND Currently, I am horn-sitting a very nice Eclipse Medium. But the FACT OF THE MATTER IS...I love my Equinox, MORE. The low register is FAT. I play first trumpet on Jingle Bells in "A Christmas Festival". There's a very low solo... and you know... with a "normal" horn it is difficult to project. Not so with my Equinox. We laugh sinisterly when the reed suckers ask us to play softer! :twisted: I also play first on an antiphonal trumpet part, and the Equinox soars in the upper register.

If you play an Equinox, I'd love to compare notes. I'd love to know how you're experiencing the horn. Personally, I could not be happier.

Buzz

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, Meg!

I posted about this about my Equinox:

The Equinox is the one that has total appeal for me! FAT mid/low register.... RIPPIN' upper register! It's the best horn I've ever played! I have checked all of the Eclipse models out... quite well. There's a reason for that!

The response, intonation, and slotting is excellent. Normally, when slotting is so good, you give up flexibility. Not so... it's unbelievable!

Here's a pic of mine:

[​IMG]

Meg was the first Equinox owner in the States! I was second, and it's still my favorite Eclipse trumpet!

Best always,
    Bruce

3. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Hi Meg,

I'd love to give you my impressions about the Equinox.

I'll E-mail you my address so that you know where to ship it. Just be sure to let me know how thorough an evalution you'd like, so that I know how long to keep her (& remember that adjustment period).

4. Buzz

Buzz New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    McDonough, GA

HEY, YEAH, SKIP :lol: ....that sounds like an awesome idea 8) , but ya know what???? :?:

HUH-UH! :D

Meg

5. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Meg,

You can come out & visit and play my Large Red when I get it. We can make a direct comparison, Equinox/Large Red. Yeah, that's the ticket. :-)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    What is going on with the first valve slide? Cool looking horn.

TM

7. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    TM,

From the Eclipse site:

The Equinox model is essentially a more compact version of the Eclipse trumpet. The valve section has been moved closer to the player. Although the valve section is almost as close to the player as that of a cornet, the Equinox is most definitely a trumpet, in appearance, sound, and feel. It is approximately 4 1/2" shorter in length than a standard trumpet. This was accomplished by reducing both the bell and leadpipe length, and adding it back through an extra wrap around the main tuning slide, and also at the bottom leg of the bell section. Like all Eclipse trumpets, the tuning slide assembly has been attached to the rear bell assembly, resembling an added valve slide.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Damn! Sounds interesting.

9. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hey Skip!

Not long now!!

The large red you mention is sitting almost fully assembled on my workbench.
    Another Eclipse will soon come kicking and screaming into the world, and then be heading Hawai way :D

Regards

Leigh

10. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Hey Leigh,

Thanks! How is it going? Any problems? Any pictures? I was wondering how & where in the process mine might be, but didn't want to bother you. Take all the time you need. Thanks.

Skip