The Essential Role of Modeling for Mastery and Rafael Mendez

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by maccluer, Aug 31, 2014.

1. maccluer

maccluer New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St Louis
    There persists a myth that the true geniuses somehow were born with a unique talent that somehow developed independently and totally originally of those who preceded them. In reality the truth is quite different. The great innovators first put forth thousands of hours studying and imitating the great masters that came before them before developing their own individual styles.

The last few years I have taken on a new trumpet model: Rafael Méndez. The legendary Mexican trumpeter, was rightly called “The Heifetz of the trumpet”. I am modeling many aspects of Méndez’s playing and personality, including his incredible breath control, the best articulation ever by a trumpeter, the wild abandon and total lack of fear with which he played virtuosic passages, and last but not least the soulful expressionism and generous phrasing which expresses deep emotional content in his playing.

I have a long way to go before I approach Rafael Méndez's artistry but the process of modeling him has been extremely rewarding, inspiring, and enjoyable. The current results include this video of his arrangement of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto. It’s a fun and not very serious arrangement of the masterwork that bears as much of Méndez’s signature as Mendelssohn’s.

Joshua MacCluer plays Mendelssohn Concerto, arr by Rafael Méndez - YouTube

You can read the full article at: http://joshuamaccluer.com/the-essent...rafael-mendez/

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Listened to the Mendelssohn and then Carnival of Venice. It is a joy to hear you play. Thank you for posting. It started my day off right.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nicely done, Josh. I appreciated your artistry...and the artistry of your accompanist as well.
    Jim

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hours a day of playing. That is the model you need to achieve to reach the level of Mendez. I am no where near that model.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Another Modern Day model example of excellent control is Chris Botti. Again, achieved by playing hours out of a day.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Very nice playing, nearly distracted me from watching the pianist.

7. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    WOW ! :D

Nicely done and a pleasure to listen to THANKS .

Dean_0

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Once again you guys miss the mark. It's making sure the tequila has a worm in it.

9. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE

:stars::stars::noway: :bleah:

Dean_0