The federal response to Katrina was not as portrayed

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by gzent, Sep 13, 2005.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

"The federal government pretty much met its standard time lines, but the volume of support provided during the 72-96 hour was unprecedented. The federal response here was faster than Hugo, faster than Andrew, faster than Iniki, faster than Francine and Jeanne."

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes, but thanks to our wonderful news media and their ceaseless intent to sully the image of the current administration, Brown, the FEMA director, is now out of a job - he decided to step down amid all of the accusations in an effort to turn attention away from the supposed scandal, and back to the relief efforts, where it belongs.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I'd agree, it's not the government. It's the damn media and the way they twist things to portray their own objectives. "Unobjective" my butt.

4. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
  5. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    My father used to work for FEMA and he is very familiar with the process that goes into aiding a city like New Orleans in a situation like this. One of the finrst things that happens is government aid is offered to the state. Both the Mayor AND the Governor turned down help saying that the state could handle things by itself. Always makes me think when I see the mayor on TV blaming the government.
    -missednote

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yup... I've watched the news broadcasts both on TV and the web with a "pinch of salt". Although I don't think that the response (or lack thereof) is all one-sided, I have been coming to the conclusion that the Mayor is possibly "out of his depth". Someone posted a lot earlier into this situation to the effect that assistance (and even the work at strengthening the levees which was never completed) was due to "local politics" and hinted strongly at graft. (Wish I could remember the name of the smaller town East of N.O. where the police chief and a town official came to heated words about housing for Hispanics.... and the subsequent arrest of the town official who had allegedly been stealing and hoarding relief supplies in his garage!)

Now, I think that Mr. Brown certainly did not have a firm grasp of the situation; his responses on TV were vague, never positive, and frequently only hinted at things to come "in the future". There is no doubt in my mind that he was also paddling in rapids where he shouldn't have been. The only time things really started to straighten up was when General Honore stepped in and "took command"; it is obvious that the Coast Guard Admiral (why Coast Guard?) is being second-guessed by the Mayor and possibly had to go waaaay over the Mayor's head to stop the return of citizens when he did.

Makes me wonder just who the heck IS in charge.

In the meantime, be thankfull that Rita wasn't what it could have been.