The First Of its Kind

Discussion in 'Horns' started by chops1, Mar 9, 2004.

1. chops1

chops1 New Friend

Dec 27, 2003
    Just though John and the guys deserved some much due Recognition and prasie. They went through hell to make me this horn. I can't say enough how much I appreciate would they did to get it done. This is the first Satin Laquer horn out of the Tulsa shop and as far as I know the first satin laquer horn that is Calicchio, meaning the finish was done by Calicchio. The horn is just gorgeous. The most beatiful trumpet I've ever seen. It is a 1s2rML with a 6 inch bell and thumb and pinky rings. I am very happy with the horn. You can see and here it at the beginings of my webpage at http://members.cox.net/professorhn Again thanks so much for everything John and the guys at Calicchio.

[​IMG]

Thanks John
    Sgt. Bemis
    [/img][/url]

2. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    AWE! It's so beautiful!!!!!!!

3. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Just out of curiousity...why a 6" bell? :?

Butch

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Because 8" is "over the top"? :D

5. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Ed,
    "Truer words were never spoken"! :lol:

Butch

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    what does the large bell do?

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Large bells tend to project the sound to a point, then the sound starts getting diffuse. Where that happens is different for every horn. If you go to an 8" (standard size for small tenor trombones) the sound would be very diffuse.

Back in the 1940's, 6 inch bells were common in marching units in WWII for TROMBONES!

In the bass trombone world, Bells went from 8.5, to 9 and the up to 10.5 inches. The 10.5 became too diffuse for the most part. It seems to have settled at 9.5 (and occasionally 10).

I think in the trumpet world we are seeing the same thing. 6 inches may be the reasonable limit, with 5.5 being more common on the bigger horns. Some might go for a bigger bell for the more diffuse sound (not probably on a Calicchio) to blend better.

I think the bigger bells on the Kanstul, Wild Thing, and ZeuS instruments may be designed more for blending -- of course depending on the setup, finish, and choice of lacquer or plating (all factors).

Isn't the trumpet world great? Lots of fun horns for all kinds of playing.

BTW, it is a gorgeous looking horn!

Jim

8. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Great looking horn...but, how does it play??

Scott Wiltfang

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Very nice, and that is a very big bell you've got there.

10. chops1

chops1 New Friend

Dec 27, 2003
    Why the big Bell.

Sorry I haven't been able to answer question. Been on tour and just got a couple of minutes on a computer.
    I got the big bell for a couple of reasons. I had tried two calicchio 1s2 trumpets in the past and really loved the fat sound that the horn got. I had owned a Yamaha Shew horn in the past and like the way the horn played but didn't like the lazer type sound the horn got. Especially with lead type horns they seem two be very directional. So when I was ready to get a new horn I talked to Dave Johnson and told him what type of sound I was looking for and asked him what the bigger bell would do on the 1s2 horn. He said it would spread the sound out a bit and difuse it. This was what I was really looking for. Something a can really play some serious lead on and then go to a jazz combo and get a great sound there as well. I lead type feeling horn without such a compact sound.
    I've played the horn in a couple concert band settings and the horn did fine there also. I am really happy with the horn and enjoying it more as each day goes bye.