The Giannini Trumpet Concerto

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Lamkin, Oct 28, 2007.

1. John Lamkin

John Lamkin New Friend

Feb 5, 2007
    Guy's and Ladies,

I've been looking for a recording of the Giannini Trumpet concerto for almost three months now, and no one seems to know if one exists! Is there anyone out there who has at least played it and who may know of a recording of it, or who has a recording of it and would like to share it with me? Let me know.

I am sure somebody somewhere in the galaxy has recorded it or has a recording of it. I played it several years ago (no I didn't make a recording of it, but should have) and I am now teaching it to one of my students and I would like get my hands on a recording of it (or maybe a couple of recordings -- if I were to be so lucky) so that my students can hear an interpretation of it. Have any of you played it? And if so did you record it? And, if you did, would you care to share your recording of it with me? Let me know.

Thanks.

John

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John,
    I consider myself pretty well plugged in and know of no recording. I checked with all of my local sources (including the trumpet profs at the universities - NOTHING. We are not ignoring you, there is just nothing to report! Sorry.
    It does not appear to be that tough though. Get the score and spend some time with it.

If nothing else, find out if anyone that you know uses Sibelius. There is a program for it called Photoscore that lets you turn notes on the page into midi (I own it myself and know that it works!). Then you would at least have a rough idea of the harmony.

3. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    The only recording I have seen any reference to is by James Burke, and only the 2nd mvt. is on the album.

As listed in Al Lowrey's Trumpet Discography -
    ----
    1954 National Music Contest Selections: CORNET (Education Editions)
    Polymusic Records: (PR/EE 101A - PR/EE 101B) *

Concerto for Trumpet - 2. Andante Sostenuto

*No address of catalogue number on the album. These numbers are presumably matrix numbers James Burke
    ------

The NYPL might have a copy in the archives, or an Interlibrary Loan search might turn up something somewhere..

I played it in high school, but don't think I recorded it. (And even if I had, it probably would be pretty useless as a reference tool - maybe good for a laugh or two, though!)

Sorry - doesn't seem it has ever been recorded in full. I know I learned it without any recording ...

4. John Lamkin

John Lamkin New Friend

Feb 5, 2007
    I know you guys are not ignoring me. I am just amazed that there are no recordings of it. When I learned it (years ago, I may add), I didn't have the luxury of a recording to listen to either. And I played it with a piano player. But now there are so many excellent recordings of the trumpet literature that I thought (and was hoping) I could find a good recording of it. I guess I was mistaken. Oh well, such is life. My student will be fine.

Thanks.

John