THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(kinda long-sorry!)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Dec 10, 2010.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Hello everyone. Just a brief history about myself. PLayed trumpet in my youth until age 21, then gave it up to "be a rock star" (yeah,right!!)After a 27 year hiatus from trumpet playing, Bought a new trumpet 2 years ago,realizing what I had given up so many years ago. Ive been practicing daily, and also playing at church, and working in 1 number with my classic rock band. Well, as I practised the other day, I was feeling better as the practice went on. After doing my pedal tones, lip slurs, flow studies,long tones,sotto voce(Thanks Nick Drozdoff!) etc.,I started playing scales, moving up the register,to see how my range was getting, and low and behold, I HIT DOUBLE HIGH C !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It wasnt Maynard quality, and it was no squeek, but I hit it,and held it for about 5 seconds, and voila-no exsessive MP pressure, didnt feel like my brain was hemmoraging,and was actually feeling good(my chops)and continued to practice for another 15 minutes(to round out my hour) I just want to say a big THANK YOU to all of the players on here who have given their valuable advice!! It has helped me in SO many ways!! I dont think the progress Ive made would have been possible without the valued advice from everyone on here(since there arent any trumpet teachers in my area) If you were all here, I'd take you out and buy you a beer! THANKS AGAIN!!!!:thumbsup: P.S. Just to let you know, after hitting the double high C, I played the scale all the way down to low F#,and NO problems reaching it like in the past!

2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Congrats, I guess... for some people hitting double C really is the "holy grail". For others, not so much. To each his/her own.

I am truly glad for you, but I must admit that I had to chuckle a little bit: The last bit of your post sort of reads like an Academy Award acceptance speech. :D . No offense intended- I hope you are able to laugh at that too...

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Has there been a Monty Python marathon on lately? Second "Holy Grail" post in a month (not buy you). Now I gotta hook up my vcr (never copied Monty to dvd). Actually I am happy for you and your post will be inspirational to many. I don't think it is too long. There are worse offenders, (guilty), and their posts aren't nearly as enjoyable to read, especially when it's the same old same old. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

4. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Umm.......yes, it is kinda "I'd like to thank the Acadamy"-ish!LOL. Im just so happy with the progress I've made in 2 years time, and realizing I couldnt have done this all on my own, since the teacher popultaion in this area is ZERO!! Trumpet Master has been an incredible tool! I did forget to thank my mom and dad for that "first horn",my fans, my agent, my PR guy,etc...............LOL LOL:lol:

5. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Grats, I am a come back player myself, so I understand your being happy, and right now the only way I can hit double high C is on the piano.
    Grats again.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    How many leger lines above the scale is a Double High C anyhow?

7. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    All of them! :D Lol

tedh1951 likes this.
  8. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    You mean above the staff?
    It would be the 11th step,-5 ledger lines, starting with G on top of the staff. Double C is a space that high up !:play:

9. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I was going to say that if you could hit a double high C in 2 years, I am going to quit the trumpet... :shhh:

10. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    My comeback has been 2 years in the making. I played for about 14 years in my youth, and then didnt play for 27 years, just to clarify...:play: