The Importance of Good Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnctrumpet, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Johnctrumpet

Johnctrumpet New Friend

Feb 17, 2012
    London
    Air is the most important factor in creating sound on a trumpet. Which is more important: breathing in or blowing through the trumpet? The answer is that they are both equally important. The way in which we breathe in will affect the sound in which we play. We should always be striving to be more efficient about the way we play and never waste our effort. Tension or tightness in our bodies is a prime example of wasting energy. We can minimise wasted energy by simply being aware of it, but more importantly by positively playing in a relaxed and focused way. We start this process by the way in which we breathe in.

First off all we should nearly always breathe in through the mouth (rather than the nose). It is the most efficient and natural way to breathe in a large amount of air quickly. We form the embouchure with the mouthpiece then breathe in through the sides of the lips.

Exhaling all the way out before breathing in can help us to breathe in. The most natural thing after exhaling all of the way out is to breathe in; when you breathe in open your throat so that the air is drawn in a relaxed manner. The air can be drawn in either quickly or more slowly as is appropriate.

Always take the biggest breath. Not so that we have more air to play a longer phrase, but because the air pressure is higher and so wants to come out! Our lungs only half full of air means we will have to work harder to maintain the same pressure and that is obviously more demanding. This is even more important as we play higher notes.

Time it so that after the air has been drawn in there is no delay before playing. Holding the breath, even momentarily, can create tension, fear and doubt, and interrupts the natural flow of playing and the music.
    As the air is expelled while playing it should likened to a controlled sigh. Pitch the notes with your airspeed. Always let your air flow smoothly through the vibrating lips.

Visit my Blog for more Trumpet stuff!

Thanks, John

Trumpet Blog

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the posts, always informative, but I think you have the wrong venue for them. This is a forum for conversations and has plenty of trumpet experts (from whom I personally have learned a ton). Your posts strike me as website traffic builders. There are other experts here who have similar sites and services but they never blatantly post "expert advice" in an unsolicited fashion, only as responses to others seeking help. Maybe if you feel your ideas stack up to the other experts here you can get a spot in the Resident Artists part of TM. Just MHO.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Maybe we should ask the Moderators to see if this is more appropriate for an advertisement?

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Expertise is a relative term and the requirement to read/heed material on this site is elective. I enjoy reading John's posts and, whether I agree or disagree, they still provide good mental stimulation. Besides, his blog has no ads on it and it based on a free blogging service, so it is hardly a commercial venture.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My take is that the in TM we all have a right to free speech, and that we are an inclusive, not an exclusive community. I do shut down "members" trying to sell Nokia cell-phones and such, but as long as things remain trumpet-oriented, I let the community drive out the folk they consider undesirable. Promoting ourselves is OK, but is not what TM is about--if allowed to define it, I would consider TM, as a whole, to be a bunch of friendly folk who like the trumpet.

P.S. Good breathing never hurt anybody.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    John, John, oh dear John:

Medical fact: If nasal turbinates are not swollen (we do not have a cold), nasal entry of air is just as "efficient" as oral administration of air. The same volume of air can be delivered in the same amount of time by either route.

John, first of all, humans do not have the ability to "open the throat" other than getting the tongue out of the way which is under voluntary control. By the way, at the base of the tongue (the area were the tongue meets the throat) air from the nasal and oral cavity share this same entry point into the throat. So "efficiency" from either entry at this point is THE SAME. The epiglottis is next. I do not know many humans that have "voluntary control" over the epiglottis. Then the air hits the trachea John, which is a rather fixed caliber piece of tubing.

By the way, John, what species are you?

John, the air pressure is at atmospheric pressure. It only "wants to come out" if you inhaled helium. From the content I am reading, John, you're inhaling helium aren’t you? John, please listen to me... STOP inhaling helium at this time. Grab an oxygen tank an put this on the mask you are currently using. Do it now, because with the craziness you are reporting, you are becoming severely hypoxic!!

Wow, John, if holding your breath momentarily causes you tension, fear and doubt, you have a SERIOUS anxiety disorder, and really need to see our Dr. Akins soon. He is a true TM humanitarian and will see you urgently. Ahh Dr. Akins, you do have an immediate supply of pink slips, right?

John, only when you have obtained your medical degree... and then after you post that you have been licensed by the state in which you are residing.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    patkins likes this.
  7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Leave it to the DOCTOR to advise us "How to breath!" Thanks! Such a cool reply! Yep, I got plenty of pink slips!
    Also a few Blue Ones for those who forget how to breath!

8. Johnctrumpet

Johnctrumpet New Friend

Feb 17, 2012
    London
    You are right about one thing, the throat can't 'open up' up, the feeling of the throat being open is there as we breathe in (as long as our tongue is out of the way)... Technically I should have said make sure that you keep your mouth shape open as you breathe in.

Over nine out ten professional orchestral players in London don't ever breathe through their noses. If you could enlighten me on how you breathe I would be very interested. I didn't know that trumpet players have too have a medical degree. Your English is not that good though.

With regards to the air 'wanting' to come out after you breathe all the way in, that is obvious to a child, I don't understand what you are talking about when you mention helium...

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Nine out of Ten trumpet orchestraly players in Londen are missing an enhanced potential. Helium is lighter than air and will rise to be expelled (it also makes your voice higher and you get a cute chip monk sound). Everything else is AT ATOMSPHERIC pressure and you stated "air pressure is higher and so wants to come out" which on this planet is not the physical principle behind gas exchange.

How do I breath? I open my nasal passages (some times my mouth), and breathe in, then breathe out. It's so simple, I bet you can even do it in your sleep, unless... What species are you???

You do not need an MD to play the trumpet, but it helps a lot to have an MD to realize when someone is reporting crap as it relates to breathing. You sir, are a fine purveyor of crap, for which on this point, two out of two physicians agree.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey JohnC -- I have this great deal on a Nokia cell phone with a BREATHING app. --- I think it can help you ROFL ROFL ROFL
    seriously --- I second VB --- let's face it, if we can't express ourselves, and share our ideas and even our blogs, or name the band that we represent -- so people can find out what we do ----- then, we are pretty much wasting out time on TM.

that seems to be what TM is about --- sharing, and learning, and investing in each other's ideas!!!!!!!!!!!