The Importance of Good Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnctrumpet, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    The larynx, also called the the voice box, has two bands of muscle that form the vocal cords, it's an " ORGAN IN YOUR THROAT ".

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    OK then, if you want to define the throat as not including the vocal cords, go ahead, that will be your definition; make sure you clarify before making other assertions as most other people may have a different notion. I believe that the focal folds are actually consituted of epithelium, although they do contain some muscle fibers (vocalis muscle).

3. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    The larynx has three main parts:

Top - The top part of the larynx is the supraglottis

Middle - The middle part is the glottis.

Bottom - The bottom part is the subglottis.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Ultratrumpet, I am quite familiar with the anatomy of the larynx. It was your definition of the throat that I was wondering about. You have clarified that now, thank you. I believe also that the correct spelling is "supraglottis."

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Philippe, nice job in knitting these commentaries together. I truly appreciate the time it took to do this, and I believe in so doing, people reading this thread will have a better understanding of the process of breathing. As we all can see, it is quite a complex process and there are so many components involved in both inhaling and exhaling. Philippe, you have truly convinced me, you know this process well.

I will leave the clarification as to the larynx role between you and Ultratrumpet, as I am enjoying the back and forth between both of you, and again, I think both of your understanding of the process will again educate as here at TM. Me as a third party will only complicate things so at this point I remain only an observer.

A.N.A Mendez, pass the popcorn.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    And that, along with all participants remaining civil toward each other, is what it's all about.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What KT says does ring true... but I read his commentary differently as he notes "if we can't express ourselves, and share"...

While I agree that the end goal of expression is EFFECTIVE communication, the key about communication is getting people to HEAR. That was my tact (of expressing myself) here. If the OP, you (Phillippe) and I were having this discussion in the same physical space in real time, I would not have changed my tact. Your commentary Phillippe serves as a mediator, a roll that I have learned, nurses utilize as a MOST gifted skill. Had the three of us been together, the colorful banter as documented above would still have happened, BUT also would have resolved in a better understanding by all.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was doing pretty good until page 4 ... I really was trying too ...

9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Holy Christmas, I misspelled a word.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I will gladly do so. Just don't lecture me on subjects of which I might already be knowledgeable enough for all practical purposes and more.

And if you do intend to lecture, please be consistent: You quoted John Mohan as an authority figure saying "it's impossible to close the throat." I pointed a very simple action that seems to be just that and asked how come? You replied something along the lines of "the vocal cords do it" (perhaps not an exact quote but the message is intact). When I asked you to clarify what the throat was to you, you said: "The larynx, also called the the voice box, has two bands of muscle that form the vocal cords, it's an " ORGAN IN YOUR THROAT ". With all caps to boot. Since I don't read anywhere that you changed your mind on that Mohan's quote, one can only assume that your position is: it's impossible to close the throat, only an organ that is part of it. While that may be technically true, I'm not sure the end result is so different. Sorry, that's a little confusing and the presentation of the various parts of the larynx does not help. If you did change your mind on the Mohan's quote, then just say so.

Glad I could help with communication, Gary.
    Incidentally, this is the video of Greg Spence in which he talks about the importance of breathing in properly:
    The Backswing 06/02/11 - YouTube

His message is actually quite similar to what JohnC was trying to convey, although perhaps expressed in a better way. Greg is a well known pro in Australia, a Yamaha artist and his teaching method has received lots of praise, including from Rowuk.