The Importance of Good Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnctrumpet, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Yes, that's right," it's technically true."

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Fair enough. I do not contest that at all. A missing fact would be whether the throat, as a system composed of organs, has the ability to remain open while the organ consituted by the vocal cords is closed. If that is not the case then, in effect, closing the vocal cords amounts to closing the throat.

3. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Music and allurement:
    They may make the wanderer stop in his tracks.
    Dao issues from the mouth,
    mild and without taste.
    You look for it and you see nothing special.
    You listen for it and you hear nothing special.
    You act according to it and you find no end.

The Dao De Jing ( Tao Te Ching )
    Lao Tzu

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I see that we agree :-)

The spirit of the valley can not dies
    Mysterious feminine essence

From the heart of that darkness
    Emerges the root of the Earth and Heavens

Ceaselessly it grows,
    Invisible, effortless

(chapt 6 of The Way, from memory of a French translation so it may look a little different in true English translations)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting video.. but I came away with a different message... he relates to let the normal elasticity do the work for you, which is exactly what I said... no high pressures needed (only 1 cm H2O difference over atmosphere) and this work is done on exhaling. Again JohnC did state this as well, but after this, I found reading on confusing with some facts misleading. But clearly we are all in agreement to relax and THAT IS the most important take home message. This video and my discussion I believe helps to drive this point home, the our body is wired to successfully breathe naturally, without additional intervention required.

The working word in my message and this video is to RELAX. Let the recoil energy that was given to us by the great creator work for us. Fighting this is or enemy. Developing excessive tension (to creat large pressure as I take home from the OPs message) runs contrary to this. So yes, this video is right on as related to the importance of breathing in (and out) properly... which again is to relax.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You are actually not disagreeing with me. I never said nose breathing wasn't useful. I was just clarifying that we breathe through the mouth for a reason. I've taken a quick nose breath in the upper register when I needed to. I've even had beginners breathe through the nose in the first one or two lessons to get them going. Plus I agree with everything you said.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    If nothing else I'm glad could attract some attention to Greg's stuff. I find his videos (which are free and there is a ton of them on YouTube) highly informative and the way he explains things works well for me. Over time I have come to grip with the fact that playing trumpet is difficult to explain. I think he does great at that tricky task. Perhaps JohnC can gain some insight from him, as I have no dount that he was essentially trying to say the same thing.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    why - thank you GM, and to add to that --- is that we all see things in a different viewpoint -- different expertise, different experiences, and different vocabulary at times --- and the end result is that by having these discussion we end up with EXACTLY what you say:

"the colorful banter as documented above would still have happened, BUT also would have resolved in a better understanding by all. ""

We all understand a little bit better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If we emphasize "good" over "breathing," over "tonguing" and the like, we might just become better trumpet players.

Just sayin'.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ah, we are back to the collection of "empirical data" and declaring it automatically right.

My take is perhaps different. I feel that the consummate trumpeter needs it all and has an obligation to themselves in figuring stuff out rather than just "believing" claims. I know of no professional players in London criticizing nose breathing. I got the tip from one of the leading American pro players.

There is no "law" that says air intake when playing MUST happen quickly. We simply need to be able to fill up in the space that the music allows us to. Just like we do not always brake an automobile by mashing the pedal to the floor, we can realize benefits by not mashing the air into our lungs as a rule.

The body has several additional, natural advantages to nose breathing. The air is moisturized, filtered and the temperature is adjusted before entering the lungs. As far as a holistic view of the body, breathing through the nose has big advantages in lower tension. The truth is, that we NEED BOTH the nose AND mouth to get the job done in the best way depending on the situation.

For those currently claiming to only use mouth breathing, clamp off your nose with a clothespin or plug the nose with something else. Try to breathe and talk, then breathe and play. If you try this a couple of times, you will see that only the nose knows what the nose knows. You will also realise that a bit of time spent on nose breathing is not heresy or committing a crime. You will realize a further possibility to integrate the wholeness of your being into the wholesomeness of your playing. Integration is that which makes our playing better. I can't believe that a forum that deals with the color of human farts when playing double C can argue about basic body functions.

Nose breathing is simply an additional tool in our box - do we absolutely need it? I would say, that depends. Was Miles able to play the Carnival of Venice? Would his playing have benefitted from additional classical techniques? Working on nose breathing does not present the dangers of an embouchure change or similar dramatic change. It can be implemented when playing scales or other non time critical exercises until we get the hang of it. Afterwards, we simply have an additional tool instead of an unfounded prejudice. Just like articulation with the consonants T,K,D,G,R,T,L and the vowels A,E,U,O,I, many only use a small subset and get by. That does not damn them to hell, it merely offers room for simple improvement. My preference is not to be naive running with as few tools as possible.