The importance of Practising Performance Pieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It does you know, and even more so.

For myself, I just wouldn't be comfortable playing publicly unless I was back to somewhere near my full potential. And without the motivational pressure of having to prepare for gigs, that motivation has to come from within. And be maintained for years.

On the plus side, we're free to develop ourselves methodically with perhaps a little more wisdom and the benefit of hindsight, and free of the worries of going into a performance unprepared - a luxury we often didn't get when we were younger.

2. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I found the book Effortless Mastery by jazz pianist Kenny Werner, to be insightful on the subject of study, practice, and the quest for perfection. This writing inspired me to change the way I study and practice.

I'm mostly a piano guy but the concepts carry across to all instruments.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No one says you have to be able to play flawlessly in order to gig. In fact, there are scads of weekend warrior hacks who are gigging all over the place who are proof of that concept - dudes playing at levels below where I am, and I consider myself a bit of a hack. I guess it depends on the kind of standard you want to hold yourself to.

Personally, I'm in it for the good time, so while I want to be musically proficient, I know that it's not absolutely necessary to be perfect. In fact, I can probably count on fingers of less than 2 hands all of the performances I've been a part of in nearly 30 years of gigging where I felt like everything fell into place near perfectly. There's almost always something that's slightly amiss - even if I have nailed my part, someone else may have erred somewhere. That's just the nature of live performance. I'd rather put it out there and be a little less than perfect and have a great time making good music with great people, and offering that music for an appreciative audience, than chugging along solo and lonely in a practice room.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It's straying off topic again but......

No one wants an adrenaline junkie with a psychotic fixation toward technical accuracy on 3rd desk. It just doesn't work.

And no one wants a primo uomo who can't deliver the goods.

I don't understand most folks either (women seem to be better at that kind of thing), but usually I'm quite content to let them get on with what they seem happy with. However, I do think it's useful to have a good understanding of yourself; both your good points and your limitations; otherwise you just end up in situations that don't have a positive outcome.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hey! That's me!