The Intonation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetrelax, Jan 18, 2009.

1. trumpetrelax

trumpetrelax New Friend

Jan 17, 2009
    I have a problem with the intonation.
    When I finished buzzing mouthpiece and I play on trumpet
    my intonation was not well . I want to know how to had a better intonation.

Thank You:lol:

2. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    One thing that I occasionally use to enhance intonation during practice, is a relatively inexpensive chromatic guitar tuner with a built-in microphone.

Korg CA40 Digital Chromatic Tuner - LOW PRICES at WWBW

Every note played will be identified and displayed, along with a "+ or -" account of the accuracy of my intonation on that given note.

It definitely takes a lot of the guesswork out of locking onto notes that could otherwise be skewed to your ear due to room acoustics and other interfering factors.

3. FlugelNoob

FlugelNoob Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Yes tuners really do help, especially when you play in a big group. For my trumpet section in secondary school though, we used our ears because we all use a Yamaha Xeno, which allowed us to be able to hear once we are out of tune(with each other of course!), so our entire band used tuners.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Intonation is a function of ensemble playing. I do not recommend tuners as they do not help. The intonation that we need to play is not well tempered like the tuner or a piano. Your teacher needs to play duets with you, you need criticism during ensemble work. Good intonation is audible even to the beginner once the teacher has shown them what to listen for!

I only recommend playing notes over a drone for DIY. You get a keyboard to hold out a low note and then you play a scale or slow tune and get each note to ring. Search TM for "drone" and you will find more info on this effective practice method!

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    to add to what rowuk says, while tuners can be useful, they will not help you to learn to play in tune. To play in tune you have to learn what in tune sounds like. Now I don't mean when you listen to other players. What does it sound like when you are in tune? How do you adjust your tuning slide? I play alot with my students. We play duets and unision songs. I teach them how to tune their horn by using a drone pitch or a keyboard. I have them practice tuning every day they play. This is just the start. Playing all your major scales and listening to them as you play will help your ears tell your embouchure to make the fine adjustments needed to play every note in every key in tune. In effect to play the horn in tune with itself.

Several things are neccessary to begin to learn to play in tune. A good horn and mpc. so that any adjustments are small and easy to do. A good sound. With a bad sound you will never play in tune no matter what you do. You must play on a regular basis at least 5 days or more a week at least 1 hour a day or more. Out of shape lips will not play in tune

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi relax,
    Markie here,
    One of the best ways to figure this out is to experiment a little. As you probably know, the ears, like any sense organ can habituate to its environment. A good example of this would be the following;
    Have you ever went to see a friend or relative in a town that stinks from factory emissions or a farm industry? I'm guessing yes, as we almost all have.
    However, when you ask your friend or relative "how do you put up with the smell?"
    the response is usually either:
    1) It's not as bad as it use to be
    2) I don't notice it anymore

While it's tough to play trumpet with your nose (unless you're the spawn of Rashan Roland Kirk) the poiint is, senses can habituate.
    Now, you need to get your ears use to what is and isn't in tune.
    Here's what to do. Use a tuner or a piano(that's in tune!!) and play a tuning note. While you do it, adjust your lip a little up and down from the piano pitch. Listen for waves or beats "WITHIN" the sound. When there are no beats or waves within the sound, you've made it!!! you're in tune. It's easy to get use to crappy out of tune sounds. Practice playing in tune and record yourself for studying. Eventually it will be natural.
    Of course there is a down side. Once you've mastered proper intonation, whenever you hear someone playing out of tune, it will drive you nuts and possibly give you a headache. Good Luck

7. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Oh great, all this time I thought my playing was getting better, but it's just that I don't notice anymore how much I stink!!:lol:

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    sucks to be human huh? That's why I advocate recording practices and listening to them. I record my practice sessions and listen to them on the way to do chores such as going to the grocery store, ect.
    I'd like to have a nickle for everytime I thought I did great but when I listened to the recorder I found that it sucked.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    yes, but isn't it nice when you sound better on the recording then you thought you played?

10. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I complained to my teacher once that all of a sudden I was playing really out of tune all the time. He laughed and said that I sounded that same as always, but I must be becoming more aware. That was humbling, but good in the long run. Sometimes awareness for intonation comes stages. Listening to in-tune recordings and in-tune players is one way to start training the awareness.