The King's Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BigDub, Jul 9, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Tim Zimmerman and the King's brass? I have become kind of a King's Brass groupie over the last 10, 15 years. They are a professional group consisting of Tim, who is the director of Music at Grace college in Indiana, and either college grads or current students who want to travel over different times of the year and give concerts. It consists of 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, percussion and keyboard. They are very entertaining and have great arrangements and present a fun, Christ centered, concert. Occasionally they will allow local players to join them on a couple of numbers and I've had the opportunity to do that at least twice. It's a lot of fun. Tim Zimmerman is one of those "humble" types. I know there's hundreds of groups like this- many probably better, but the fact is, sometimes you get a chance to play with someone far beyond your ability, and yet they don't show slightest hint of superiority, and it was an unbelievable experience I won't soon forget!
    If you haven't seen them or heard them check them out.
    Just thought I'd share-
    -Wayne

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Thanks for the clip, Chuck. I appreciate your endorsement of them.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think that is an important part of being trumpet players -- we(I) am not a professional trumpet player -- and although my abilities at the trumpet are OK. they are no way near a lot of players that I would go see in concert. BUT THE CATCH is also this -- WE(i) will probably have the opportunity someday - to inspire a young kid, teenager, or older adult who plays trumpet -- and they are not up to my/our playing abilities -- THAT IS THE TIME for us(me) to be humble, and gracious, and show that person compassion -- and help them learn something about the trumpet or good musicianship from us(me) ---- hey Big Dub -- glad you had that opportunity to share that with the King's Brass -- and remember that lesson when it is your opportunity to inspire someone esle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    KingTrumpet is not with King's Brass?:duh::-?

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NO - I am not with the King's Brass- however this was a good teaching point for the rest of you blokes ----
    everyone who is out playing gigs -- will eventually have an opportunity to give tips or advice to someone who is LESS OF A PLAYER than you -
    HOPEFULLY you will remember this lesson -- and be a role model -- that was my point:thumbsup:

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Totally right. I havent had much oportunity to be technically better than another player but when I feel that I am I make a very conscious effort to encourage and teach in a kind and gentle way so as not to belittle them. All too often a trumpeters compeditive vice gets in the way of being a club and is too much of a competition. Giving back is a sweet treat to be enjoyed after paying all those dues along the way. I love teaching and cherish every oportunity to see a young player light up as they improve by some hint that I have given them. As I have said before, the truely great musicians are not threatened by other players and love to teach by example and encourage others to improve. Best wishes.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    To which king are they subject? Isn't calling a US band "the Kings Brass" like calling a UK Band "The Presidents Own"? ;-)