The lip buzz (looking for guidance)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zack Pomerleau, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Zack Pomerleau

Zack Pomerleau Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Hey everyone! I'm sure some of you have seen my posts, I'm a complete beginner with trumpets. I don't even have one yet. I'm posting this in regards to learning the lip buzz. Since I don't have a horn yet I figured I'd at least practice this to be proactive.

I've been practicing my embouchure by saying "M" and then making a "p" kind of sound to open the lips enough. As I have watched a bunch of videos, I've found the the sides of the mouth are not up like a smile of course and I have that like I want it, but I'm not understanding something.

How tight should the sides of the mouth be? Should I be tightening the sides of my mouth to a noticeable degree? I have heard some people say it should be tight, but I'm not sure what that means exactly. I'm hoping to hear what all you have to say about this as I'm not having much in way of results (I have had some though, but I'm worried I'm going too tight).

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Skip it. Buzzing your lips and forming a successful embouchure with your lips are going to be completely unrelated for someone who has no idea what a good embouchure should feel like and do. Besides that, although there are guys who will do some free buzzing, or will use just a mouthpiece or leadpipe of their horn, there are a lot of trumpet players who don't do buzzing exercises at all.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I also say skip it.

It is not what you do independent of the instrument, it is how you have your body relate to the instrument. The trumpet is not something "out there" like you can say drums, keyboards, guitars etc are, it is an extension of your body.

4. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008

Hey, appreciate your reply. I actually watched a video (this one: http://youtu.be/Q17qIjoZ0-k?t=9m45s) and he plays without buzzing. Is that why you say not to buzz, because it's not actually used? Or are you saying not to because since I don't have a horn it's just not useful because I have no instrument to get techniques down?

5. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    I think I understand what you mean. As a drummer, the set is a huge extension of the body, but a major part of practice is off the set. Not a lot of instruments have that privilege (I guess it can be a misfortune at times, all those diddles and such!).

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Skip it. Buzzing has nothing to do with playing.

In the mouthpiece the lips vibrate sympathetically with the horn resonance. Playing trumpet is a fine motor activity that requires hundreds to thousands of repetitions with the complete system. Once playing is well on the way, then only for some, buzzing if done properly can loosen up tight chops and get the juices flowing. It does not replace any type of horn activity.

If you want to get started, take a yoga class and relearn how to breathe and relax.

7. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    This is crazy for me to hear because literally EVERY thing I have ever heard is people telling me you have to make a buzzing/raspberry like sound to make the trumpet work. So this is very mind blowing to hear!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ugh, I'd say do it but I'll get pounded! It won't help you play the trumpet but it will make you aware of your lips. Everyone's lips buzz when they play the trumpet or they make no sound. No buzz, no standing wave, no noise, just the sound of rushing air out the bell. Start with horse flapping your lips. Again, none of this will help you learn to play the trumpet better, only playing the trumpet will do that.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's semantics and a chicken egg argument that gets very heated (at least a few years ago) and circular.

10. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Toby, what I'm getting from the past day or two is the reason to do it is for awareness and technique, but you don't actually buzz your lips on purpose, that just happens when your embouchure reacts to the mouthpiece and such? Is that the idea?