The lip buzz (looking for guidance)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zack Pomerleau, Dec 19, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well this explanation may sound "messy" but I'll try. I do buzz my lips on purpose. It's how I stay on pitch. I was taught in the "Old Days" to lip my notes in tune. Older trumpets/cornets didn't always have intonation aids so what did a player do? Lip the note in tune. How do you do that if you don't know how to control your lips? You can't and you play out of tune. If the rest of the section or band goes flat, then sharp, then flat, are you going to constantly "fix" the problem by moving your slide in and out? I do not any longer use a static embouchure as I did in high school and also when I started my comeback. I won't go into an embouchure discussion, but I no longer try to improperly use air flow and pressure to achieve my goals. There is nothing more annoying to me than to watch a self absorbed player playing a solo and CONSTANTLY messing with his tuning slide. MY GOD! HAVE THEY NO SKILLS!!!??? Phew, now I feel better. Awareness is the biggest benefit IMO to lip buzzing. In and of itself it can't make you a better player but when the two work together (playing the horn), then good things can happen.

2. Zack Pomerleau

Zack Pomerleau Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    I see what you're saying. Watching videos I've seen people "buzz" songs, so your intonation example makes total sense. I won't lie, I'm not really sure about all of this, it's really over my head, but I get the jist of it! I appreciate you explaining it to me. When I get a horn (which will be soon now), I'll work on that and get going with what I need to do. I know how annoying it can be to play with out-of-tune instruments, so I'll be sure to keep listening for that!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I buzz tunes when no horn is available, but in moderation, and never as a substitute!

4. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    I so far has been unable to really figure it out. Do you think it'd be best until I actually get a horn and mouthpiece until I figure this all out? It LOOKS like I have the mouth embouchure right in terms of how it should be without the horn...but, other than that it's hard to say. Can't get a buzz, and no horn.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I would have a look at the Greg Spence "from mystery to mastery" for a few ideas. I doesn't cover everything but it sure does cover a lot.

6. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Just watched a video of his on buzzing in fact. You're the first recommendation of a video or book, so thanks I'll look into it!

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It is no substitute for a real life real time teacher but I think it's one of the better instructional videos.

Cheers

Andy

8. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    I plan on seeking out a teacher for sure!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Zack, I'm another of the skip it guys. The note is started by a lip buzz that lasts for a few round trips of the standing wave (consider the length of the trumpet and the speed of sound and we have a very short time period). After that, the standing wave causes our lips to continue vibrating as long as we keep applying air--in a very real sense, the trumpet plays us.

By the way and for what it's worth, the corners of the mouth are held firmly against our eye-teeth when playing.

Wait for your trumpet, and have fun when it arrives!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's why I mentioned horse flapping your lips. Don't over think it if you want to do it. Once you get your equipment, it will and should be a miniscule part of your routine. There are "closet" lip buzzers here but I won't out them! ;-)