The lip buzz (looking for guidance)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zack Pomerleau, Dec 19, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I haven't buzzed for years. I find buzzing more fatiguing to the lips. The demands of my current quintet had me seek out another method so I could last for a four hour gig. I found the world of phwoooo. Phwoooo is now how I vibrate the mouthpiece. Buzzing is so overrated.

2. musicman1951

musicman1951 New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Albany, NY
    I also vote skip it. It's not that it's a bad thing to do, it's that you have no reference to what will be your normal trumpet embouchure and it is very easy to do strange things with your face to try and facilitate this free buzz. The free buzz is difficult for some players and much harder than playing the horn. It's hard to imagine it will provide any benefit under the best of circumstances.

It's not like buzzing is difficult - put your lips together, bring the horn to your lips and blow. Don't worry about it - the air will make the buzz.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The buzz is, our Moderators will never be substituted.

4. Zack Pomerleau

Zack Pomerleau Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    gmonady: Very interesting, thanks! Cool you found something that works!

Musicman: Good to know. Alone without the trumpet, I'm just so far unable to do it without strain. It's very odd, but it seems like a misconception on how to play the horn. I'll worry about other things for now. The music side!

5. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    Why don't you memorize fingerings and such?

Clench your left hand, and you will see your knuckles protrude out a bit (or quite a bit) put your three trumpet fingers on the knuckles and finger away.

Do you play any other instruments?

6. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Well, I figured that was a given :-) I do play other instruments. Other than drumset, I play piano and guitar. I currently study music education so I have some harmony knowledge from my short time in school and past studying just by myself. I know my major/minor scales, major modes, building chords for 7ths/9ths/11ths/13ths etc. I can also read music, not incredibly well, but I fully understand it and am getting better. I'm hoping that helps a little, but I realize that only lessens the hurdles of instrument learning.

I like your idea though, thanks for it. I really need to pick up some beginners books or something.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Buzzing.....

Like light: is it a particle or wave? Are there photons or vibrations?

Consider a flute, or, if you'd rather, a beer bottle (empty of course - you will have consumed the contents as your altruistic contribution to the scientific discussion).
    When you blow across the top of the bottle, or aim your breath through the lip plate, what vibrates? Answer, the air. And this air will cause anything it touches to vibrate in sympathy.

But, like light and its 2 models, there are certain characteristics of trumpet playing which are easiest described by the lip buzzing idea. And free buzzing the lips does sometimes help in activating the flesh.

My bottom line, though, is still "skip it".

Get your trumpet, and start playing!

8. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Lots of times we buzz one way and it all goes out the window when the horn comes up to our face and we do something completely different. After thousands of hours on the horn you'll have an idea of what's up. Enjoy the journey because it never ends.make sure you have a mirror in your practice room, it will be a huge help in keeping you honest as well to watch your embouchure while you play. Trumpets rock, welcome to the club!

9. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Somehow I missed your post, but yours really helped. By sort of "holding" the sides of my lips near my teeth I actually could get a LITTLE bit of a buzz. But I'm not worrying about it. I think that would have been could to hear earlier as I wasn't sure how tight it needs to be and if the teeth were involved.

Tobylou: I can do the horseflapping thing like there is no tomorrow, so get ready for my sweet melodies!

10. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Trumpetsplus, thanks for your post, I appreciate it. It was very insightful!

Tjnaples I know how that is with the drumset. I'll practice things one way, but then go to play live and it's all different! Trumpets do rock and I really look forward to learning! Thanks for your help!