The lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YTR-2335, Mar 27, 2006.

1. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    Pete, thank you for your response. Instead of quoting the whole thing I’m simply clipping the part below that I wanted to respond to. but your description and analogy were great and worked for me.

I agree. I tried to simplify my thoughts and focus my question. I also used focus on pushing from the bottom of my belly up. But now, I’ve found that doing that causes me “un-useful” tension; so, I’ve come to learn that I can use my whole mid section (stomach and back) almost like a girdle (but a manly one ;- ) ) to control the air stream and pressure.

Got’cha. I’m with you on this.

Back in college, I had reasonable endurance … in addition to ensembles, I would practice twice a day for an hour and a half. But I found that my lips were tough. or felt thick, because of the muscles I built. In addition to the practice sessions, I would do a slow, hour-long warm-up in the early morning, and I found that this softened my muscles and made them far more responsive later in the day.

That said, I was using a completely different approach to playing. Even though I don’t feel that I’m nearly as technical as I was back then, I feel that my sound, flexibility, and dynamics are far superior to where I used to be. I figure that I can rework the technical aspects once I get my embouchure solid again.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful responses. I’ve really enjoyed this discussion. Mark, King, and Gmonady, I always appreciate your insight and responses on this and other threads.

Certainly, more thoughts are welcome.

2. fredthewhale

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    This really is a whole new world for me. When I have everything working together, I perceive that I can feel the airstream over my tongue; and it feels as if I have complete control over it. When this happens, it also feels as if “I have to keep my notes down” because they’re ready to jump higher, It’s very exciting.

The sad thing, for me, is that I wish that I was at this point 30 years ago. I not typically the kind of person who wishes to know then what they know now, but this is on my short list. Sigh.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YOU and ME both my trumpet playing friend --- BUT listen up --- we can't go back 30 years ago --- BUT WE HAVE NOW, so enjoy what you have and will learn --play the best of your abilities, and share your knowledge with others --- AND PLAY AND BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!! what more do you need????

4. fredthewhale

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    can i have the assistant that DUPAC posted?

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  6. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Right, this is why I kind of don't like the weightlifter analogy so much. It would be better to think of a tennis serve or golf swing. You do need the strength, but all the strength in the world won't do you a whole lot of good if you aren't using it correctly. You can muscle your way through to a point, but you'll never be able to drive the ball as far or as accurately as Tiger Woods until you learn to use that strength efficiently.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How about 3 ROfLs? What happened KT, did your smiley face button go bad?ROFLROFLROFL

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Actually that was an answer to some of OLD comebackers who LOST SOME time -- when we quit because the trumpet was frustrating to us at the time of our YOUTH --- now that we understand that it is a combination of AIR and CONDITIONED LIPS as well as 1,000's of hours of practice time and 10,000's of repetitions to get there --- so it was more or less to put the whole trumpet in perspective at Fredthewhales and MY advanced state of the learning curve albeit perhaps 30 years too late --- or like when you leave after visiting me ------better late than never -ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.