The Low

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by geetarman, Jan 3, 2014.

1. geetarman

geetarman New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    Am I alone in my love of the sound of the lower register of the cornet? All that noodling in the uppers never grabbed me as much...

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not if you're happy playing 2nd, 3rd, and 4th parts on cornet OR a bass instrument. Still, you should be solid to a C on second ledger line above the staff on cornet.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    If you are using the cornet as a solo instrument you can play in what ever register you want, I've got G above the C you mention Ed but I don't especially like playing much above the G an octave below because that is where the cornet sound is at its best in my opinion anyway from. Leave the real high stuff for the trumpet sop cornet and piccs

4. geetarman

geetarman New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    I can, just really prefer the lower end of the range. Just sounds more pleasing to me, I guess

5. geetarman

geetarman New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    Although a "bass cornet" might be interesting:cool: although I guess that would just be a euphonium!

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Same...spot on advice.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One of my favorite jobs ever was playing 3rd trumpet in a symphony orchestra after winning the chair. I loved the part about being a bridge to the horns and trombones, barking out low notes, sometimes getting solos (depending on the composer, third trumpet is actually the lead part). It's one of those positions where one can be both Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Even nicer is the mid to low register on a cornet in A...;-)

9. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    I'm with you, geetarman. Last year I bought a nice flugelhorn (Kanstul 1525) and have been enjoying low register tunes ... like ballads from the 30s, 40s and 50s ... (such as "Serenade in Blue"). Am not playing in any group ... but it sounds great alone in the shower.

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

Doesn't the soapy water make it hard to hold? ROFL