The Low

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by geetarman, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I believe the lower registers of the trumpet/cornet are, these days, undeservedly underrepresented. These things can sound good down there!

Not at all, I believe I actually have one: Circa 1895 Besson Bass Cornet

Image: [​IMG]

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I just completed a musical score for a full wind ensemble --- (my first composition ever) -- looks like they are going to play it in the spring concert. My piece is called BASS fishing (either the Bass fish, or the Bass Clef) --in any case, I have most of the trumpets playing riffs below the staff down to the low G, (all instruments touch on and play at their lowest notes), albeit --- cause the 1st chair people are generally considered the better players ----- the LOWEST parts for all instruments, and even trumpets I have written in the first parts --------the 2nd and 3rd parts are slightly higher!!!

((ps. I can play low notes, and pedal tones, even a pedal tone song of sorts -- -do I play high range? -- YES, do I like it? YES -- do I like low notes? YES ---------------- I like it all -- even up to the DHC (the octave above the 2 stave C above the staff) -- but NO ONE EVER SEEMS TO WRITE FOR LOW PARTS ---- so yeah, I did ---- will keep you posted on when it plays

3. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

You might want to check out the great cornetist, Ruby Braff. Lots of low register playing and he does not seem to take it beyond a high C. Wonderfully lyrical playing, like Louis Armstrong meets Dizzy Gillespie. Brian

4. geetarman

geetarman New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    Jimc, how is that horn played? It looks like the mouthpiece is on the inside oc the tubing. ;)

5. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Pucker? :-)

The full story is in the link I gave. The short answer is that, when received and as pictured above, the horn had to be played cocked at an angle so that your chin didn't hit the bow. It was obviously missing a 'bit', like many old horns have. With a Euro taper adapter and a stock extender this problem went away. Someday I'll find a way to play it in public.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    He's not using water - just the acoustics (what in Star Trek they call a sonic shower).