The luxury of buying...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Plithos, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Plithos

Plithos Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2007
    Greece
    Hello to all...
    today i came face to face with a problem i keep having since i started to take trumpet playing a little more seriously..
    i am a postgraduate student and a columnist in periodical press..
    not that well payed to be honest..i'm playing in a small group and we make live concerts from times to times... doesn't feed me..

i do have a really nice thing with collections in my life..
    it seems that the microbe infected my musical enstict...
    my problem is this one and i'm pretty sure many of you have it...

i'm looking all the time in the internet for sales of trumpets just for fun, to be informed of the traffic...
    the thing is, at times, i came across (bloody phrasal verbs) some pretty good deals..whether these are in the price or the item...
    what do i/we/you do at this point..

by the way, that's how i bought my X3. a very good deal!!
    today i saw a YAMAHA YHF-631 copper flugelhorn.. most of you should know it..
    i was that close to bid on it and the last minute i withdraw...many were my thoughts.. do i need that? not necesserily.. it's a good deal though.. do i have the money? yeah, but then i have to tighten up my belt..for a while...
    what about my desire.. just to get it? or the fact that horns like that aren't that easy to find as time passes by.. or that it's a copper model and you can't find, in that kind of money, a copper model anymore..
    for the record, it was about 507 euros or 850$... a good deal considering that new price is around 1500$..

what do you think?
    do we buy a really good deal (regardless the relative meaning of the word "good)? or just wait for the right time, when we have the money or the REAL need...?

thanks a lot..
    (i drink to the next!!:cool: )

2. wuzzard

wuzzard New Friend

Feb 14, 2008
    Im 17, ive got money issues ive got to decide between buying a trumpet (as I can no longer mooch off the school for cairne (my yamaha student model) and saving for what my friends and parents call "more important things" I really cant afford one, I guess ill just keep looking around to see if my teacher or anyone he knows is selling any of their old ones. A copper flugelhorn is nice but eating is important too!

3. mrwizard96

mrwizard96 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2007
    Newman, CA
    I think we all have money problems I am 32 married with 6 kids. I wish I was 17 and had your kind of money problems, trust me.

Personally if you have the money doesn't mean you buy it just to have it. If there is a need or a perceived need then maybe. Just depends are you going to get it home play for a month or so with it then put it back in the case and not really bring it out anymore. If the later is the case don't waste your money just to "have it".

4. wuzzard

wuzzard New Friend

Feb 14, 2008
    I know what you mean, my problems must seem trivial compared to that, but no im not gunna play with it for a month then get bored. I've been playing for the last 6 years, only really serious about it for the last 3. im in my senior year and am not able to mooch off the school after this year, conicidentaly I just found a very good deal on a yamaha 6335HG trumpet from a person I acctually know but didnt know they were selling it.

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I have things I've bought new, like a Sony Mavica camera, a TI-86 calculator, tools, etc that I paid full price and they were cheap because I've used the heck out of them over the years. Interestingly, the calc and camera still look like new too. I'd not regret paying new price for a good trumpet for one second if I'm going to use it, especially if I'm going to use it a lot.

It's always nice to "score" something cheap though!

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Plithos get out there and some some busking. Earn the extra $$ for the extra trumpet.

7. wuzzard

wuzzard New Friend

Feb 14, 2008
    XD Id never be able to afford a new yamaha mark II in a million years, though ithink im going to buy the 1 i found. Ill get my dad to maybe go half with me and pay him back over time ?

8. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    With that mind frame, you can count on it. Life changes, if you leave yourself OPEN to possibilities, great things can happen.

Wow, I sound like a bad Kung Fu movie now !!!!!!!!!!!

9. wuzzard

wuzzard New Friend

Feb 14, 2008
    lol you sure do. Also I kinda like the feel of a broken in trumpet apposed to a new one anyway. Im gunna meet a guy on the weekend to try out his mark II cuz he happens to be visiting my province and see how it feels.

10. codemonkey

codemonkey Guest

No, Plithos, you should not buy it. You are up to your eyeballs in debt already. How do I know? You are a post-graduate student and you're asking random strangers for financial advice. Am I correct? Maybe I'm not, but if you have any other financial obligations, then you shouldn't be throwing around that kind of cash.

I have a video of an accomplished player demonstrating Yamaha student, intermediate, and pro horns. When he played, I could not tell the difference. What we are after cannot be bought.