The luxury of buying...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Plithos, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

That's why I say: Busk.

Busk for your new horn, it's paid practice, and put that money into a special piggy bank or Mason jar for that new horn only. When the new horn's bought, maybe you'll find busking a good/fun source of revenue for paying off a certain one of your loans, and pay that one off, then the next one, etc.

I was taking violin lessons - doing great too, fiddle's easy. I got my teacher (half my age!) to get up the guts to busk, and as far as I know now, he's a regular fixture at the Mountain View CA farmer's market by the train station on sundays. Last checked in on, he was making about $100 for a few hours' work. He has the skills, I had to supply the guts by going with him, and basically all I did was stand around and provide moral support. End result is, I've taught someone to fish. He's good, been fiddlin' since age 10 or so, and I feel he can always make a living busking at the farmer's markets and for restaurants, fits around his school schedule, and frankly between you, me, and the lamppost, busking's got more of a future than high-tech.

So why doesn't everyone do it? Frankly, because very very few are called upon by the powers above to be decent musicians. I've HEARD a bit of the other fiddle students. I've HEARD the students in practice studios and various street players and most don't have it. So it will always be a matter of the few, the proud, the GOOD buskers. So if you have the skills, consider giving it a try.

2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Who was your teacher out there? I took violin from Anthony Crawford...

3. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Misty - I was taking violin from a school located in the Silicon Valley region, named after some lady who gives a very good impression of being full of herself, most of the footwork done by her hubby. The school has two studios, located in the Palo Alto area. The teacher I had was a young kid, like age 24 or so, 23? Who usually teaches kids, not adults.

If you can pierce the veil of secrecy, you will know who I was taking lessons from.

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nah, I know the school you mean but can't remember the name. It's not important. Anthony was playing for the San Jose Symphony, which is now called something else. I'm not sure what he's up to lately. He was fun. He rode a motorcycle and just strapped his $10k violin to the back of it and drove all around Silicon Valley, splitting lanes and all.

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Yeah, that's my problem, not trying to be coy, just can't remember the name. Kid teaching me was Josh, and he was blown away, "My other students can't do that after 2 years!" etc.

I got interested in violin after building a theremin. I could play stuff on the theremin, but man there's no frets or anything on there you know, so you've got to be listening like crazy all the time to make sure you're in tune. And theremins drift, at least the basic Moogs do, so there's no necessarily a "same place" to come back to. I realized violin was much easier, at least you have something to grab onto, and besides, my friends all made fun of the theremin, "Why don't you just play kazoo? No, wait, comb and tissue paper" lol. That hurt. And it needed 2 dedicated power plugs to work too, one for the theremin and one for the amp. It's possible to make the theremin battery powered, I could do it, with some circuit surgery, too much to go into here. But I'm also one of those Peak Oil/Olduvai Theory people, and decided dedicating maybe 10 years to getting good on something that takes juice to run is pretty dumb.

Violin's a great instrument. Tons of range, small, light, and can be LOUD or *quiet* as you like. Strings are costly but not needed all that often. Rosin too, but all this stuff is cheap. It reached is perfection in the 1500s and has worked fine for everyone ever since. It does take some finger/wrist work though, and I've seen Josh shaking his hands out in a bit of pain after playing for a bit.

I think I can carry my trumpet around on a motorcycle OK though, I actually got this humongous backpack thing for a network analyzer, nope not the cool kind, the computer kind, that I think will hold my trumpet case, plus overnight change of clothing and stuff. No splitting lanes in AZ but I sure split lanes a lot in CA. It's not nearly as dangerous as you'd think.

6. mrwizard96

mrwizard96 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2007
    Newman, CA
    Really? you can't split in AZ? Are you sure? I thought it was legal everywhere. I don't think it would stop me even if it was illegal, especially if I was caught in stop and go traffic most bikes are air cooled and will over heat very, very quickly in stop and go traffic.

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Nah lane-splitting is a Southern California thing. Everyplace else hates it.

Not that I have to worry, traffic is really light out where I am, in Chino Valley.

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's dangerous because if you clip someone's mirror you could drop your bike and be under someone's wheels before you could blink. You'll never convince me it's not dangerous, especially with the crazy drivers in California.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've been going over 100mph on the Autobahn middle lane, Porsches going well over that in the left lane, and motorcyclists splitting the lane and passing everybody--who said the Japanese are the only Kamikaze?

When it comes to trumpets, or anything else, the question is, "Do I sacrifice today's needs for tomorrow's dreams? That seems to be the case of most highly successful people. Here at the Mission, most of our guests have sacrificed tomorrow's dreams for today's need.

I would like to think that dreams trump accounting.

10. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Misty - Clipping someone's mirror isn't dangerous, it's hilarious. The driver gets all ticked off, etc. It won't dump your bike.

OK now what were we talking about? Oh yeah buying a new trumpet, on limited money/allowance.

Get out there and play, kid! Even "When the Saints Go marching In" is good, if played halfway decently. Get out there.