The meanest comment ever made

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    My grade 12 recital was my first recital. I worked so hard putting the jazz band together and the brass quintet. I feel I played really well and was super happy with it, and my mark on it reflected that.

After the show, my (former) best-friend's mother told me "I see that your older brother got all the talen in the family."

This really hurt me. Of course I did better than her son on the recital...

I played a sub gig for the opera Aida in first year college. At the rehearsal the conducter just sat there and yelled and screamed at us and threatened to not pay, as well as telling some people to stop playing for various reasons. It was very demeaning, especially when I was playing the part correctly every time.
    I guess that is what you get for hiring a bunch of high school students to play in your million dollar production of an opera instead of hiring real pros.

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    You have to remember that I was a young band director just starting to make a reputation for myself. I also had to remember the example that I was setting for my students. I chose to take the higher road and worry 100% about my student and the feelings that were hurt.

Sometimes where a person makes a stupid comment you have to consider the source and move on.

3. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    I'm not berating you for not lighting up the judge, just pointing out why I would not make a good band director!!!!! :-)

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    A bit of stage patter we like to use: "ladies and gentlemen, we've had a request but we're going to keep playing anyway." Or "Ladies and gentlemen, we've had a request but it won't fit!"

Michael McLaughlin

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.
    Woody Allen

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    After I played a train wreck of a solo during a community college jazz band rehearsal, the leader looked at me and said,

"Son, by the law of averages you should have hit at least one good note, but you managed to avoid them all."

Ow.

6. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Gday
    My trumpet section colleague and I were rather rudely chatting while the Oboe player was trying to check her tuning . She turned around and rebuked us in a very agressive manner, saying "do you mind stopping that chatter, I am trying to tune up" .Before I could even think to stop the words from spilling out of my mouth, I replied" Yes,I am so sorry, I can see that, but I dont know why"

Cheers
    Laurie

7. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Another anecdote about Sir Thomas Beecham: One night the oboest played such a wavering "A" as a tune-up note that Beecham said,
    "Gentlemen - take your choice!"

8. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    the times i've had students from special education, or students recovering from serious accidents yet wanting to participate, i included a note with the judge's score and visited with him/her before the scheduled performance.

i always ask for as many detailed improvement hints as possible in those situations. my colleagues have always been gracious about those situations.
    i do not try to influence the rating just the comments provided on the comment sheet.

i have no problem going to the klink over placing a fist in a jerk's visage.
    ...probably get fired, though.

dj

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    After a couple of days and a lot of thought I have decided to bring this up again at our next rehearsal. Hopefully the flute player wont be there but if she is, no big deal.

Although she it a bitch, there might be some validity to her comment.

I have always thought that the lead trumpet should be just a little above the band.
    We do a lot of big band type stuff and I might have got carried away. Well at the next rehearsal I'm going to ask what they want and I will accommodate.

Years ago the conductor told me to play out. He said he wanted me to play first because he couldn't hear the guy that was playing the part. That conductor is dead now so maybe it's time for another look.

We probably won't have another rehearsal until October or so.

10. Benji

Benji New Friend

May 13, 2006
    I remember hearing a flute solo once, I think it was about 1983.