The meanest comment ever made

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Aug 1, 2006.

1. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Consider the style of music you're playing and the instrumentation in the band. No one would ever expect to be able to hear a flute playing in a big band piece -- unless the trumpets were laying out or playing with harmon or bucket mutes. There's a reason that the woodwind players in big bands play saxophone -- and that the clarinets and flutes are used in specialty roles. If you're playing big band music and the trumpets are in, and open, it's probably the flute who should just take a break -- or learn to play a real instrument.

GT

2. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006

Even if you are playing big band music you SHOULD be able to hear the flutes if they have a part written for them. flute can sound wonderful in a big band setting when treated properly by the arranger/composer. In addition, there is no rule that says the trumpet should be a little "above" the band. The trumpet should play whatever dynamic is written in the music, or whatever dynamic the dierctor/conductor is seeking. AND I assure you that the flute is a real instrument!

...you crazy "legit" players are always finding a way to play louder than everyone else.... :D :soap: - there's my speech ....ah I can just feel the flaming about to start :bash:

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played a concert tonight with the mean flute player.

The last song of the night was Stars and Stripes. I had the section stand at the end and aimed my bell at her head.

The conductor saw me and started laughing.

She will be hearing that tune for a while in her head.

How loud can a Monette B993 play with a B15LD? Ask a flute player!!

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    YESSS!!

Revenge is yours. That's hopefully the last time a flute player will say anything. If not we can play louder!

"my amp goes to 11"

HEHEEHEH

-T

5. Alex_In_CA

Alex_In_CA New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    I'll tell you one instrument that can play surprisingly loud, is the VIOLIN.

I hung around the busking scene, not busked but hung around, in Waikiki a few years back and a guy would show up with a violin, play some of stompin' "hillbilly" music on it (sounded like he could play anything, probably classicaly trained) collect the $$ from the very large and impressed crowd that would gather, them move up the st. lather rinse repeat. He could be heard EASILY above the amount of noise of all the people, Kalakaua is a noisy street when that place is jumpin' about 9PM.

OK mean comments ..... lemme see..... uh... "That's NOT the note"?