The mental side of trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chenzo, May 1, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So are you saying I should be wearing a latex glove, with KY jelly on the gloved index finger when I am playing my trumpet?

2. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    :lol:Interesting Technic there....try sitting on your hand a while before using for an extra dimension:lol:

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  3. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi Guys,

Reading a bit of Jamey Aebersold Vol 1 last night.

In the introduction he suggests going straight to page 51.... which I did about 3 years
    ago.

Walked straight into a brick wall regarding improvisation, chords and key changes so took a big step
    backwards and avoided the whole thing for what seemed forever.

The idea of jamming the horn against my face, finding a couple of sexy chords in my head and just going for it was
    a completely foreign concept which was reserved for the "enlightened" professionals.... and therefore doomed to rely on the sheet
    for the rest of my days.

JA makes the suggestion " Conquer Fear with Knowledge", which is true for all aspects of life however putting it into practice is
    another story entirely.

The fear of failure... or success... is apparently a worldwide phenomena reflected in the statistical bell shaped curve indicating
    poor, mediocre, average, good and excellent. The vast majority of us obviously sit slap bang in the middle
    and will never budge from this position because it is so comfortable.

Solution: Phase shift mental status to the right of the curve by 10% by including the really difficult stuff ie...... the stuff you flick past
    on the way to the easy stuff.

Anyway, back to Ab minor Blues... How many b b b b's? Dorian oh yes 6 grrrrr....rrrrrr.....rrr......I don't care....don't care.... don't care....
    going to throw in a whole lot of funny sounding notes as well.

Trying to make the "Circle OF Fifths" my friend but not easy.

Maybe over thinking the whole thing.

Listening to Clifford Brown on the way to work this morning either sends me into a state despair or elation ie. no room for middle ground
    here.

Cheers,

Paul.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh Great! Go ahead... announce this to the world... that now knows my secret to hitting a double high C.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    gee, I thought you were a pediatrician and NOT a proctologist -- I will have to rethink my thoughts about you being my JAZZ hero trumpet player - good ole buddy ole pal --- because now it doesn't sound very decent anymore!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

and that brings me to another concept of "mental aspects" of trumpet playing --- I also believe we strive harder, and make better sound when we are inspired by other trumpet players --- and then put in the practice, and the mental apptitude to practice wisely, and gain confidence -- and then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts ----when we get better, we feel better about our playing ---and then we play more, and get even better!!!!!,etc,etc, etc

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All of this shrink stuff just builds more dependencies.

We ultimately have control over what we do. We can channel that stuff in a positive or negative way. I am my own worst enemy is the most destructive way to get started.

I believe that it is better to check out what Kaizen means. Small steps. Once we become foundation builders - one stone at a time, the world of trumpet opens up. When we accept impatience (oh, Oh! My worst enemy again) we are on the path to building a house out of sand - on sand. The next bully will come along and kick that sand into our faces. Build that stone foundation and NO ONE can huff and puff and blow the house down.

Kaizen. It is a philosophy and it works. If we start with the foundation, we are ALWAYS building upwards. Skipping a couple of steps means that we fall back down because nothing is there to support us.

7. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Thanks all for you words ...
    Hey Rowuk just looked up the Kaizen and I can see were you you are coming from
    And yes when saying ones is ones worst enemy is a wrong approach in any thing we are trying to achieve.
    What I am saying is That I may some times over think therefor negativity starts to come in to the equation.

I must say that I was surprised and very happy this week at Band rehearsal as there has been a rather a quick passage with a lot accidentals in it ( tricky fingering)
    I had been going over this for a time at home for a while but hadn't practiced for a few weeks. The MD decided to pull it out again after a months hiatus
    in which I had nailed it. So yes foundation is a key.

But as Bob had said it also a game with the mind One must keep a positive outlook at all things....you might have a bad day at work or what ever............................. we need to get all of the bad energy out of our system if we are to be at our best.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As he sits in the high back leather chair, cigar smoke frames his wizened, wrinkled forehead... the good doctor looks to his patient laying on the couch caressing his Monette... and asks slowly of his patient...

"so Rowuk... How do you really feel about the channeling these negative thoughts? And when in your life did you feel your mother first looked upon you as 'the enemy'?"

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ".... and when, precisely, did you realise that you loved your trumpet?"

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    There should be no emotional attachment to mistakes when we practice. Mistakes just tell you what to work on.