"The Metronome"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Mar 16, 2016.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi my teacher suggested last lesson to use a metronome when playing music and it helps.

he also suggested to use it when playing exercises in my method books Arban, Clark,etc....now I have become very humble cause. ..wow I am having a time playing even the easiest exercises
    I am playing Clarke study #2 at 60 bpm.
    and some Arban. 16 th note exercises at 40 bpm.
    that I thought I had mastered !
    I am not complaining mind you BUT it is a humbling experience
    Anyone else been there? Thank you " a not so proud " Anthony

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It more-or-less forces you to be honest with yourself. But the progress (albeit slow) is all the more rewarding, because you know that it's genuine.

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Very true.......actually my practicing has become a lot more interesting because of the metronome.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Love that torture device .... favorite is when you are single tonguing 16ths and you can hear the metronome because you are perfectly in time. I use to slow dow a little just to make sure I could still hear it.
    Good move !!

5. Dalecon

Dalecon New Friend

Feb 26, 2016
    Ottawa
    My metronome / tuner died on me. Am currently on the market to replace it, but have been using my phone in the mean time. There is not cheating with the metronome, when I take a pause to look at what just happened or to tkae a breath it ticks on haha, the meanest conductor in the world, doesn't stop no matter what.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Metronomes and mirrors, incapable of lying!! :cool:

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You should add recordings to that list as well.

Honestly, I've never had much of an issue practicing with a click track or metronome - not sure why. I guess I've always just had a decent internal sense of time, although I do have to admit that when I first started drumming I had a tendency to push a bit through fills - not terribly, but a bit. That was soon rectified with working with a click track, and doing some critical listening to recordings of my own playing.

I highly recommend that people get a basic recording setup to record themselves. I'm not necessarily talking about practices either, but rather taking on little projects here and there. What you think you are playing and what you wind up hearing back on a recording are often considerably different, but the first step to correcting your deficiencies is to be aware those deficiencies are there in the first place. A good place to start would be to muti-track some of the duets out of the back of the Arban's book. You'd almost have to use a click track to record those.

8. blanier

blanier New Friend

Feb 7, 2008
    A little off topic but you might want to listen to track 13 from Portrait of an Artist - Arnold Jacobs from Summit records. It's a posthumous tribute to Jacobs that includes some of his recordings of practice sessions. In that track he plays excerpts from Czardas with a metronome at 176 -- on a CC Tuba.

A clip is available here Portrait of an Artist – Arnold Jacobs | Summit Records

It and the companion release, Legacy of an Artist are must haves for brass pedagogues. They contain recordings of performance, practice, instruction, and interview material from a large part of Jacobs' career. Some are great examples of the Chicago Symphony brass as well.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO for the treble clef players to understand the bass elements will provide improved knowledge of syncopation, meter and tempo.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Why? What does that really have to do with a person's sense of time when it comes to syncopation, meter or tempo? I agree that it's always good to listen down to the foundation, but ultimately a person's sense of time is what it is - it can be worked on and improved, but it's an independent thing that isn't really tied to anything specific.