The Monette Cornet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by neilb, Feb 25, 2004.

1. neilb

neilb New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Burgess Hill, England, UK
    Has anyone tried, blown, seen or even purchased a Monette Cornet

After having seen and read the Monette book plus Listened to Wynton's CD's that have him pictured holding the Monette cornet I was 100% keen to join him in holding and playing a Monette Cornet.

I play a Monette B2FL mouthpiece, so the next step I thought was a new Monette Cornet.

But, can I find anyone to discuss, talk or even comment. No I cannot

Has anyone out there any news or views

cheers

Neil :roll:

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    If you've got the $10,000+ to spend on a cornet, more power to you. If it were me, I'd wait for the release of the Eclipse cornet before spending that kind of money. I've never played a Monette, but I do know that there's a love/hate relationship with Monette equipment. I've never heard a negative word about Eclipse.

3. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Monette cornet

Post your question on TH. Jim Klages (ex soloist with the "President's Own" Marine band) plays one and loves it.

Seth Moore

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i some how doupt that the Monette cornet would give you a true "brass band " sound...

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    I'd suggest, since you are already in England, that you check out the Smith Watkins line of cornets at www.smithwatkins.com

They have one model that comes with three or four different, interchangeable leadpipes and the quality is top notch. It would be cheaper than a Monette and the sound would be better for a brass band.

Bill

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have played a Monette B flat and a Monette C.
    Both played very nice. Way better than my Bach.
    The only thing negative is they were a little heavy.
    Maybe Monette could make a lighter version.

I can't imagine that an Eclipse would play as good as a Monette.

Be careful about advise you receive here. A lot of people have commercial interests in the companies they say are good. Maybe they are good or maybe it is just another sale.

Find a Monette cornet and see. I would recommend a trip to the factory. Even if you don't buy one it's an educational trip.

7. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    Plat "as good"? Once you get to a certain level, there is no "better" or "worse" sound, just different per different players taste. It's great you like monette, but some players prefer Eclipse, or even a stock-horn like Bach.
    AI don't think any of the previous posters have any connection to any of the horns afformentioned. Why can't they post a favorable mention for a trumpet and not come under immediate scrutiny? For that matter, how do we know you are not affiliated with Monette :wink: ?[/quote]

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Read the original question. The question was directed to people that have played Monette.

9. Ash

Ash Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2004
    I know. I merely felt that you were unfairly making assumptions and criticizing horns/people without much basis. I agree that I might not have been on topic, but I do think that this had to be adressed. Were you on topic when you accused members of endorsing horns for money?

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    And it said "Has anyone out there any news or views"

Views -- as in viewpoints -- perhaps as in opinions. Who has 10K for a cornet? Ah some do, I'm sure. Monette will probably never make a lighter version -- not their concern.

Do I have a "view" as in a "viewpoint"? Yep. It had better be incredible for $10K. Could you tell its sound from an Eclipse or a B&S? Maybe. Would the sound be better? Probably not, just different.

I while I sell instruments and so do others on this board, some of the very BEST info has come from those in the know. Leigh knows a lot and shares his knowledge -- and not just to make a sale. For that matter, would you buy a horn because some salesperson said you should on a message board?

It is a place to get info and opinions -- some informed, others not so informed. Play the horns and find out. A trip to the factory to try a $10,000 horn would be great fun -- and expensive.

There are a plethora of GREAT cornets that can be purchased for 1/4 of the price of a Monette. Some great ones for 1/5 or 1/8.

Here is a thought. If you owned a Monette, would you say it was awful? No -- you would look stupid for buying it. If you tried to sell it you would get a million questions of "why?" I don't like it would be enough to turn any potential buyer away. Who wants to be stuck with a $10K horn? If you bought an Bach, and changed to a Kanstul because you liked the Kanstul better, or because "it fits your style better," that wouldn't be a slam to the Bach and the Bach would still sell for reasonable.

Buying a $10K is a near lifetime decision. It had better be worth it. I have seen people buy $5000 custom trombones and later want or need to change to a different horn. They get $1500 for it if they are lucky. If you bought an expensive horn and don't want it, people will wonder why.

Just my humble view.

M&C