The Monette Elysian

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Aug 27, 2007.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you read WHY this horn was made? Have some respect for the passed. It's a tribute to Irvin's dad (and others) who perished during Katrina.

As far as snake oil, I guess I'll order up some more. My 993 hasn't made me even think about another trumpet since I bought it.

Love it, hate it, admire it (I think it's an amazing modern work of art!), or not... let's have more respect for WHY this horn was built.

-T

2. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    stchasking,
    I generally admire your quick wit and input at TM. That comment though, shows an ignorance that I find disgusting.

ANY work of art, practical, functional or not has a price. Monette trumpets are not sold to gullible people by high pressure salespeople. Players desiring one of Daves horns call, get advice and then wait 14 months to receive the instrument. We all know what we are getting into before we start and many of us wouldn't have it any other way.

Presentation instruments are not just built to be played, but also to tell a story. They are equally suitable for a museum or concert hall.

No one needs to agree with the decision to have one of these things built - that is up to the owners taste in Art, Music and history as well as their financial situation. Disrespect is considerably different than presenting an opposing opinion. That is my opinion. We have to put up with a lot on the internet, respect should be a basic trait found universally however!

4. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    That was a priceless entry! I am off to the gym so that I can do some heavy lifting. The Horn does look beautiful though, and it was built for a great cause!:cool:

5. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007

Amen.

6. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    That's an incredibly gorgeous horn!! What craftmanship!

Could never go around playing one though. I would feel like when I'm on the golf course with my fancy equipment. Callaway clubs with graphite shaft, Big Bertha woods, titanium driver.. Looks VERY good standing on the fairway while I'm in the woods looking for the friggin' ball!! :oops:

--
    Geir

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Thanks. I did not read what motivated the horn to be built. Then I did. So I edited my original post to remove the sarcasm.

8. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    I would love to hear from anyone who was at the private concert at the Monette shop when Irvin came in to first play this horn. Although I was invited, I could not make it...now I'm kicking myself. I'm honored to know that my oil is on the Elysian.

-Ken

9. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    No wonder the waiting list for a regular Monette is 12-14 months..... look what they've been doing. WOW I WANT ONE!

10. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA