The Monette Elysian

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    So beautiful...

2. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    The Oregonian newspaper had a banner of the Elysian on the top of the front page this morning, and a really nice article with an excellent photo of the horn. What a great way to wake up this morning! Here is a link to the article on the Oregonian website. Also there is a link from the article to a slide show and the video, that is also on YouTube (but looks a bit higher quality on the Oregonian site).

OregonLive.com: Everything Oregon

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The article quotes Dave Monette a saying if he built another one, $250,000 would cover the expenses. 2000 hours was also quoted as the building time. That equals $125 an hour (the brass and precious stone costs are probably negligable compared to $250K). IBM charges a lot more for a technician on site................

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I respect the trumpet as a piece of art. (It looks very well done) But I think it is over the top. I bet if you polled 2000 Katrina victims and asked if they would prefer a 20 pound trumpet dedicated to their struggle or a $125 check, about 1996 of them would take the check. I wouldn't blame them.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If relief was the issue here, you may have had a point. If you ask "average" people during any hard times how they spent that $125, how many would answer cigarettes, alcohol or fast food? Relief was not the issue though. The horn was commissioned and the Oregonian article says that Monette donated most of the time to building the horn - whatever that means.
    I guess, it being "over the top" was probably the design goal - beyond anything else Dave has ever built. It certainly qualifies for that.
    It also demonstrates an artistic way of thinking. There are other people making decorated horns, do they tell the same stories about their owners? The work on this horn was started shortly after the disaster, a well thought out marketing ploy, or real empathy with the situation? If the working musicians thought his intentions were fake, he would be out of business very quickly. There are enough other great instruments out there!

The discussion of MONUMENTS always triggers various reactions. Some see no purpose, some see only waste, some have a vision and some see $$$$$.
    Does anybody question the value of the Washington Monument anymore? What about the Lincoln Memorial or any other items of "historical" value. Maybe we are in a different league here, but my point is that only time will tell if the intentions measure up!

New Orleans has always been a special place for musicians. The Elysiantrumpet fund is there to help people in a very traditional way - with the gift of music. That has always gotten more people through bad times than any political gestures!

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I agree with you 100 percent. The Episcopal Church should reject the gift, but they won't. Neither would the Catholic Church. Protestant Churches would reject it outright and suggest some hammer time with Habitat for Humanity as an appropriate memorial.

In the eyes of some denominations that horn is nothing more than a golden calf.

7. Jhorn229h

Jhorn229h Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2006
    AGREED!

J

8. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007
    Interesting point, however I highly doubt anyone will be praying to that horn.

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks to you trolls I've got more practice time.

-T

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I watched the video and it was great. Nice playing. I respect the time and effort that was put into this instrument as a piece of art. It is not my cup of tea.

[​IMG]