"the more you practice smart-like, the better off you a

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by butxifxnot, Sep 11, 2005.

1. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    re when you happen to play stupid-like."

:D Something I happened to say. How does it sound, Mr. Laureano? :-)

I said this because I was talking about how me and a buddy of mine were practicing playing high smartly (or I was; he was just blasting), resting between each other's high licks; it seems to me that there are things such as arm-pressure that are not good things to have habitually but help (in a sense) in some areas and are rather natural. So I let this saying out, and it seems to ring true, at least for me.

I've gathered from people's critiques of different teachers and methods that there seems to be some areas that the teachers just can't teach and they happen naturally (indeed, some of these natural things are somewhat contrary to what they say; ie a teacher who played with 250% arm-pressure might be a proponent of the 0% pressure method, when, in fact, he is using a decent 25% which he cannot feel because of the large difference between what he felt constitutes pressure (which is, in fact, 250% pressure); pressure is natural). But practicing intelligently and correctly allows the stupid part of you, when you happen to let it shine through, to supplement the smart, now-natural part of you rather than dominate what is just theory from a lesson.

"the more you practice smart-like, the better off you are when you happen to play stupid-like."

Do I make sense?
    I'm trying this to bounce the idea. I believe someone here has a signature that says something similar to what I'm saying: (oh, it's you!) "Don't practice FOR something. Practice for EVERYTHING and you'll be ready for anything. "

:-) Again, do I make sense? I am afraid I'm babbling...

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Let me see if I've got this straight...

By taking care of yourself when you practice you'll have good habits to lean on when you have to play hard.

Is that it?

If not, you'll have to translate for us.

ML

3. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    :shock: That's what I thought I was saying, but then I had a different thought...

Let's start with this.

1 If you practice right more, then you'll play right more even when not thinking about it.

Then here is what I was trying to say:

2 If you practice right more, then you'll do better when you happen to play wrong (that's what I was saying).

It might be a bit immature to say this, but playing stupidly with smart things in mind actually works pretty well. :-) So you have the correct idea on number one, and the not-so-great idea on number two, but it is what I'm feeling. I dunno. Maybe I'll have an epiphany and find out that number 1 is much better and I'm tasting some forshadowed effects in the form of number 2, because it doesn't sound right when spelled out, but that is what I'm feeling. :p Like I said, I'm bouncing off thoughts. Sorry if it's just frustrating trying to figure out what the spiel is talking about. :oops:

4. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    :shock: