The Morrison Digital Trumpet, a must see!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    This is the coolest thing that I have seen in a LONG time. Theres tons of downloads on this site so you can see this little marvel in action. Check this out! :cool:

http://www.morrisondigitaltrumpet.com/

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    If Bill Chase had one of those, what would he do?

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Oh man - you would only be limited in sound by whatever you could sample in. I watched all four videos and I'm stunned and impressed. While it does sound somewhat sterile at times, it's the best wind actuated midi controller I have ever seen.

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Fantastic!!! I wanty I wanty!!

but do you buzz or not? I haven't quite figured it out yet!

Eric

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Great... a "trumpet" that sounds like a saxophone.

Why bother making it look like a trumpet. I'd be less offended if it didn't have the look of a trumpet and more like what it is: a spectacularly well-crafted digital sampling device. It could have looked like anything had he wanted it to.

I'm afraid I won't be on the ordering list. Nice toy, though.

ML

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Manny, you don't have to be on the ordering list because you can do far more than that thing can - it's cool and applied the right way, might be a great tool, but there is no replacing real, acoustic instruments.

I could see using one for the rock band though. I could "scream" altissimo stuff all night long with that, but it wouldn't be my sound and it would take the fun out of trying.

7. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Manny

Why be offended manny? The whole point to this instrument is to give a trumpet player the abillity to sound like any instrument on earth, and when recording to be an entire orchestra by yourself. If it wasnt shaped like a trumpet then trumpet players wouldnt bother with it. The whole point of it being shaped like a trumpet it to get trumpet players into the digital age. We no longer have to be envious of keyboards with midi interfaces :-). Thats very economical not to mention what you could do with an instrument like this in a Jazz bar setting. Miles was into new stuff, He's have LOVED this. It will never take the place of an acoustic trumpet, but was designed rather to augment a traditional trumpet players repitoire with deversifacation. I'm getting one...its to cool not to have one. Wait till they get a load of me in my Jazz clubs I play in! :lol: I showed this to my wife and she's blown away, and generally she's not impressed by new trumpet designs.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nope, no need to buzz, although I suppose you could if you wanted to - I believe that the mouthpiece it comes with could be used in a real trumpet.

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Think i,ll pass on that one.
    Nothing beat,s natrual raw skill.
    Why do u suppose some one wanted to make that thing?
    plain and simple there are no short-cuts.
    Fake trumpets fake hair...same thing.
    Hey just keeping it real. :lol:
    It,s not smigity-smack, it,s wigityWac!
    peace and hair grease! :-P

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I am a real gadget geek and really like to play with toys and fun little stuff like that. I can't play piano worth a damn, so why not play all the same sound effects but on the instrument ("instrument") that I play on. No way will this ever replace the ol' accoustic one, but I am sure they are not trying to replace it. If I had the money, I would certainly get one.

On the other hand, as soon as someone gets this, I can see that the motivation to practice it might overwhelm practicing the real thing for a short (or extended) period of time. But I guess that would be up to them.

sure they could have made it look like anything but there is already a woodwind style one sponserd by yamaha. I support what they are trying to do.

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/wx5info.html

Cheers