The Morrison Digital Trumpet, a must see!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Here's why, Rick:

it's not a trumpet. It's a synthesizer.

Synthesizers are electronic and trumpets require vibration from the person playing. The synthesizer provides a set of vibrations that happen within the instrument not at the lips. When the lips don't vibrate, there is no human essence craeting music in the traditional sense that a trumpet does. It's like blowing into a device that produces a human-like voice. Would you consider that singing? Of course, you wouldn't. The device does the singing irresepective of the fact that you are controlling the "Valves" which are not valves.

Yes, a certain coordination has to be learned and yes, you have to have a musical sense in order to play something that makes sense, and yes, it's a musical instrument.

But it's not a trumpet.

ML

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I agree with Manny... But I do have to admint it is pretty cool, and if I had an extra two grand to spend I'd buy it...

3. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Dear Manny

Thanks for explaining your position. You remend me of Wynton who's a mucical purist. What you are saying makes total sence and I agree with it. This is a synthesizer designed for Trumpet Players just the way a Electronic Keyboard is a synthesizer designed for Pianists.

Synthesizers do take away the human element, but for me a synthesizer (in this case a digital trumpet) is an incredible tool that opens doors to creative freedom because of the sounds it can create.

In my musical world diversity equals freedom, and this little baby is very diverse to say the least. Theres so many applications this can be used in for me.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

4. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    It is nothing like that at all.

Both the piano and electronic piano are played the same exact way. A good electric piano even adjusts volume by how hard the keys are struck.

Yes the sound is processed but the skill level required to play it is the same.

This thing just makes people who took the time and trouble to learn and work on trumpet skills to want to cry. Even sadder is reading a trumpet player who can't see the difference.

A skilled trumpet player has a palette of tone colors to choose from when playing, has countless ways to alter, bend, shape, articulate notes. We literally BREATHE vibrato and soul into our sound. We create our sound.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think there's one real "danger", for lack of a less dramatic term. That is that we may see the time when people who are NOT true trumpet players will become proficient at the manipulation it takes to make these things go and begin calling themselves trumpeters. That day will will come, I'm sorry to say. Some flute player or pianist with a little extra cash is going to buy one, learn the fingerings, and go on the bandstand referring to him/herself as a trumpeter.

That would really stick in my craw.

ML

6. Oldgreentoad

Oldgreentoad New Friend

Aug 30, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I think as technology marches on ever faster that these type of devices will become a LOT more common and not just this particular one for trumpet. While I'm sure there will be some creative individuals who put this technology to new and interesting uses my concern is how, especially for wind instruments, it takes the "soul" out of making music. When you're listening to the radio how is it that you instantly recognize one of your favorite trumpet players? It is his or her sound that you recognize and makes you want to hear more. With this kind of device the human aspect of the sound is totally taken out of the equation and you're just hearing the machine. Can you imagine going to a symphony where all the players had this type of technology. You would be listening to the skills of the design engineers not to the musicians making music. Sorry to ramble a bit ,but this has really struck a cord with me.

Jason

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Jason,

I once attended a demonstration of Yamaha keyboards, synthesizers, and midi technology at a music store in 1986 or 87. The audience was told that the technology before us was the way of the future, and like it or not, we had better get on board because it was going to replace the studio musician because the sounds were getting SO good, even discerning listeners couldn't tell them apart. (Yeah, right!)

As you can see, we have actually done a reversal on a lot of that and while keyboards have their place in a studio environment, more and more, studios are producing by using the raw and basic "essentials" - talented and studious musicians and their instruments. Even with guitars - many guys are using a total setup of vintage gear - old Strats, Teleys and Les Pauls, with old tube amps and very little to no distortion or effects that can't be gotten with the amp and a mic.

This digital trumpet is interesting, but it is a gimmick that will one day fall to the wayside - the real and true musicians with acoustic instruments will always be in demand. At least that's what I believe.

8. Oldgreentoad

Oldgreentoad New Friend

Aug 30, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Patrick,

I hope you are right! I use and appreciate technology as much as the next person, but there are just some places I have no interest in seeing it go.

Jason

9. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I side with Manny on this. That thing isn't a trumpet. It's a toy for people who can't play.

10. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    We can produce a vibrant sound that other instruments can NOT.

All of our notes have to come through the bell and it does vibrate.

The strings use a sound board but it gives a dead sound compared to our bell.

With woodwinds only the lowest note it can play has to make all of the air go through the bell. As they play a higher note; a pad is lifted and a hole is opened up that allows air and sound to come out. Each higher note loses vibrancy.

All of our notes RING.

That toy doesn't do that.

Go hear a master play LIVE and then listen to the toy again.