The most difficult four notes to play . . .

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveB, May 23, 2009.

1. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    As many times as I've played Taps, considering what it represents, it's still the hardest song to play.

This is me at this past Tuesday's National Peace Officers Memorial Day ceremony held at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for your service to our fallen veterans Steve.

3. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    I can't agree more on difficulty factor!
    The only way to success is practice, and day of perfomance, Keeping your mind anywhere but on the meaning of what it is your doing.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I just sounded Taps at a large local cemetary on Thursday, in a ceremony at the lowering and re raising of the flag prior to having a large group of boy and girl scouts placing flags at the graves of all of the veterans there interred. On Monday I will sound taps at a very large cemetary as the culmination of a large commemoration, including a long parade from the local city park to the city cemetary.

I have to take issue with Clousemeister about thinking about what the trumpeter/bugler is doing. In my opinion the reason for sounding Taps at a commemoration is of paramount importance. We are not performing for the assembled crowd. We are paying our respects for those who have served and in many cases, died to purchase our freedom.

Of utmost importance is enough personal rehearsal to ensure that a professional job is done for our dead brothers. If a trumpeter/bugler has his chops in shape and has rehearsed enough the sounding of Taps should be a reflection of our preparedness, thus the mind should not have to dwell on the mechanics of our musical excellence, but, an audible thanks to those who have gone before us. Remembering why we put the horn to our face is pentultimate.

OLDLOU>>

5. clousemiester

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    There was no intention on my part to dismiss the importance of what I am doing, and what it represence, or anything like that.
    I should have said that I have a need to control all emotion. For me it requres what could be described as an out of body experience, otherwise I may lose control of myself.
    There is the distration of tearing, closed eyes by the time I reach the twenty-fourth note.
    I will be sounding Taps on Monday morning, as I have every Memorial Day for last several years.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    And, thank you for your acknowledgment, Chuck.

This tribute that I pay to my fellow law enforcement officers is always an extreme honor.

7. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Actually, it's not the technical difficulty factor at all. It's the "emotional difficulty" that always accompanies this particular tribute.

In any case, I also want to express my personal gratitude to my fellow military veterans on this upcoming Memorial Day. Thank you. :-)

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  8. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    My dad was full time National Guard and retired a few years ago. He's in our local American Legion and they always want me to play at everything they do. I find Veterans Day is the most emotional. They always set up a wreath to honor the fallen veterans then they salute while I sound taps. My dad usually hangs the wreath, so it adds that extra emotion of thinking about the year he spent in Iraq and how difficult that was for all of us. I try my best not to think about it, but last year it really got to me and I had to stop when I couldn't hit the G. I took a deep breath and picked my trumpet back up and hit the rest spot on. I was really upset and embarassed about it, but everyone seemed to understand and was very supportive.

I was invited to play at a military funeral, but it is just too soon and I don't think I could handle that right now. Maybe after another five years that year will be easier to put to the back of my mind, but right now, I don't see it happenning.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I take so much joy/pride/honor in these opportunities that I don't really struggle much. The first 4 in the Haydn are tougher.

10. clousemiester

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    The first four in the Haydn piece don't come to mind at this moment, but I can't imagine the same emotion felt.