The Most Important Aspects of a Music Degree

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MichaelAttaway, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Its all been stated well, but there are some exceptions to every rule. I've attended classes where no teacher / professor was present and somehow the class(es) was/were just as effective as we played through our assignments.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thinks: I've instructed classes like that.

3. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    i felt that i knew as much as i could about how to perform, but i knew nothging about:
    - how to market myself
    - how to write a contract
    - what to expect after graduation
    - what to do while i was waiting to have enough gigs to support myself
    - how to mange some of the egos and rejections that might be common while trying to break in

if i were to do it again or "advise myself," i would want to consider to double-majoring in something like business or computer science; something that may not have the time commitement that music requires, but would make me marketable in the interum and more than what is required to be a bus boy.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Girls (or Boys)....

And then maybe Music Theory.

You're welcome, in retrospect!

5. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    ahhhh ... woodwinds ... sigh ;- )

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And if they need a doctor's excuse, have them PM me, and I will send it on a personal script.

See, there I am in my signature line, already writing it!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Bowel Cleaning?

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    One of the movements from Elgar's Enigma Variations

9. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    A bachelor's in music performance is a useless piece of paper. If you can play nobody cares if you have a degree. If you can't play, nobody cares if you have a degree. Take all the performance classes but get an ed degree of if you are dead set against teaching, get a business degree. Being a pro is running a business.

When I graduated college I swore I would never teach. I spent years playing in band s and working in hotels. But I had an ed degree. When I got married and had kids I was highly motivated to have a job that would support my family. I caved in and took a teaching job. I found that I loved teaching music.

l know a LOT of people who play for a large percentage of their income. But they have to do other things to supplement it. VERY few derive their entire in come from playing. It would be good to go to North Texas, Berkeley, Indiana University, Julliard, Eastman, someplace like that and find out how good you really are. A performance degree from Podunk University is truly useless.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A moving performance I might add.