The Most Important Aspects of a Music Degree

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MichaelAttaway, Aug 18, 2013.

1. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    I would also advise them to look into grammar, usage, and verb forms.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Naah... Thats never stopeted me; aren't that isn't so right BigDub!

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Wherefore wert thou wending with that one?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Bowel Cleaning?
    --------------
    Paging Dr. Kellogg, Paging Dr. Kellogg.
    Silly patient, Trix are for colons!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yet another doctor that has stooped to this level... the embarrassment has resulted in my facial flushing!:oops:

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It kind of ruins one's social life, but take the time to use the Universiy's libraries. One of the most important things I learned was to ask librarians questions. It's amazing--librarians live for that, and if they had tails they'd be wagging them while searching for the obscure things I was seeking! (True, the internet is this huge virtual library, but it is unorganized and has plenty of junk stuff stored.) Call up music and follow the score--impossible to do at first, but the purpose, as I see it, is to recognize patterns, the way the black stuff and white stuff are arrayed on the page. A bigger advantage comes from getting a job, where the first five years or so are spent playing pieces you've never encountered. (Rite of what?)

Sight singing. This was a massive fail for me until I stated doing Stamp exercises and could then translate what I heard in my ears to what came out my mouth. I was the laughing stock of the music theory lab, but didn't care because I had more important things to deal with, namely girls and marching band.

As to girls, expect to get your heart broken at least once.

Marching band is a great place to meet girls who will break your heart and if you hang around the director enough you can learn tons about logistics. If you play in one of the Stage Bands, get to know the trombonists who aren't music majors. They usually are Math or Pre-med majors, smart folk who play for fun. Avoid the trombone playing music majors. They drink.

Strange thing is that in America one isn't considered a "real" adult until the age of 21, and the paradigm of "an adult teaching children" gets stressed to the breaking point.

Find out what your professors are passionate about and pick their brains. They'll like it, and you can learn tons. Many professors are filling shoes, teaching what is in the syllabus, but if you can find their point of passion you can truly get you money's worth.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Too late.

When even "educated" Americans, and many who are in positions where setting an example with even a passable knowledge of basic grammar is expected, can't distinguish between the simplest use of singular verbs and plural subjects, it seems hopeless to me.

Who in America these days doesn't use "there's" for "there are"? Ridiculous. Example: "There's fifteen cars in the parking lot." No. "There ARE fifteen cars in the parking lot." Geez Marie!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Please, please don't axe me something!

9. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, teaching could be enjoyable, music or anything else and much moreso if you weren't required to teach from a syllabus and texts presented to you by the Board of Education, and then didn't have so much administration requirements. You figure, most of the school management are not credentialed in the subjects you teach, thus how do they ascertain what equipment and media you require, the reality being that it is never enough. Presently, it seems the trend in public schools is toward parents procuring all the equipment and media that a child requires through the public school program and onward through college. Certainly, I wasn't paid $60.00 per hour in my brief 2 years of teaching 35 children in each 45 minute class of math or earth science and then being chastised by the board of education because I was grading my students so high. Yeah, I now know that 1/5th + of the 490 students I taught now hold Doctorates. Uh huh! I quit and began my LEO career earning more than double what I had been paid teaching and advancing nearer to $60.00/hour but not achieved when I was disabled. Since have been paid $60.00 / hour tutoring trumpet, but after my own expenses that dropped to $42.70 as averaged. RANT OVER!