The Most Important Aspects of a Music Degree

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MichaelAttaway, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This is right on the money!!! It don' matter how many damn cars is in the lot unless you need a space and there ain't any!
    Build yourself a website and use it to actively market yourself.
    Take some business courses so you have an idea what business means, and how to mean business.
    Learn as much adjunct knowledge as you can - recording, digital music, arranging, etc
    NETWORK. Other people are the key to jobs.
    Don't specialize, be a generalist and get to know as many styles and genres as you can.

Performance is great, but keep in mind that performing jobs are hard to find. Be prepared to make money doing anything you can develop a skill in.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    To return to the original question: Attend classes by all means; but the main thing is to enjoy life with music.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto

The paper might be useless, but at what other time in your life are you able to do nothing but music 24/7 for 3-4 years with like-minded people?
    These are the years where you develop your habits and improve the most.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Make sure they go to college -- and take a Major they truly enjoy!!!! -- even if it is NOT music!!! --- YOU know back in the early 80's when I first went to college, the instructors exclaimed that most likely the majority of us would have at least 3 different careers in our lives --- and the most important thing was to be successful at each one!!!! ---ON MY FOURTH CAREER THUS FAR ---- now me, I have 3 college degrees, and I work at a "reasonably reliable job" for the last 10 years with (so far) no layoffs or cutbacks. -- My current job at a local Highway department has NOTHING to do with my (Biology, Chemistry, and Computer Networking diplomas hanging on my wall) ---- I enjoyed College -- I got reasonably GOOD Grades (I had job(s) in Biology/Chemistry ---- they were good jobs ---- but they didn't last!!! LIFE CHANGES ALL THE TIME!!!!!! -- so be sure to enjoy the journey through it!!!!!!

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I was really lucky with my degrees, they came along as I matured into them. I did an apprenticeship first in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, slipped into a Management Certificate Course for supervisors, that caused them to shift my work pattern to align with my very most favourite airplane - the C-130 Truck. I then did a undergraduate degree in Adult Education majoring in Human Resource Development and shifted into Instructing for 26 years. In the meantime I completed post graduate studies, by distance learning, in Aviation Maintenance Management - and my education dogged my career and the stuff I'm pretty passionate about. Of course it's not as easy as that - you have to take CHARGE of your education - don't leave it to the institution to do the right thing - seek out the stuff that engages you, and grab it with both hands - you'll never be bored.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree - no matter what I do, or where I am in life -- I am never bored, my mind is always active!!!

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    "90% of life is showing up." Woody Allen

9. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    During college i ws principle inthe top band, orchestra, brass ensembles, pit orchestras, split lead in jazz band. (Not at North Texas). I played my horn 6 to 8 hours a day and still managed to get an ed degree. (I gave up sleeping for the most part). Swore I would NEVER teach school. After 3 years of playing in various bands and working days in hotelsI fell in Love and got married. Decided i needed to get a stable job with benefits so i took a school Band directing job. Found out that I LOVE teaching. My students have more respect for me because they know i play at a pro level. I gig on weekends but can pick and choose my jobs.

If you are capable of being a big dog at North Texas. Berkeley, Juillard, etc maybe a BM would mean more than a bowel movement. If you are the big dog at Podunk U, get a degree that will earn you a deceny living. One day you will be glad you did.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Nor does it matter much quoting a post to make a point, unless one uses the actual point and context of the quoted post in the first place.