The Most Sought After Vintage Flugelhorns?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Satish Robertson, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Satish Robertson

Satish Robertson New Friend

Apr 26, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    What would be the flugelhorn equivalent to say, what a vintage Martin Committee to the trumpet? What would be considered the ultimate vintage flugel?

2. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Many people lust after the vintage Couesnons.

3. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    Yup,...They can be the Holy Grail of Flugels.

PT

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    A pristine, early F. Besson small bore flugle would be a fluglehorn to die for!

Couesnon made a cheap clone of the F. Besson generations ago to be used as a cheaper "doubler's" fluglehorn . . . and the rest, as they say, is "history!"

Tom

5. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Pretty rare, and definitely unusual -- Martin Fluegelhorns.

They appeared in the late 1950s / early 1960s ... as an Imperial-model and as a Committee-model. Have an unusual wrap, and a cornet receiver. The Martin X-large bore (.468"), is the only size they were produced (as far as I know) ... but, blow very easily with a superb tone. Very mouthpiece-sensitive ... I use a vintage deep "V"-cup Cornet 'piece, and a Parduba double-cup on both of mine.

Robt

6. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'm in there with Happy Canuck. Had a chance to play a CT Olds (my Bundy trumpet was in the shop for a week for repairs to something that "stupid" did to it). That thing lit up like a Christmas light when you got it centered... love the horn but the owner won't sell it.

8. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    I've always liked those old K-Modified Selmer flugelhorns with the unusual wrap. You don't hear too much about them, although I did read where Jim Donaldson referred to them as funky. He did mention that Clark Terry played one at his high school. In fact, Clark did a lot of his flugel work on one of those horns until Olds made the CT flugel. Occasionally you'll see them on eBay, which is where I bought mine.

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That looks a lot like mine ;) even though I measured mine next to CT's and my bell was FAR bigger than his. Weird!
    -T