The Most Un/wanted song

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Newell Post, Feb 19, 2015.

1. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Doc is the greatest in my lifetime.

2. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My sister, wife, mother, and I amongst others were watching a 3-piece ensemble tonight with an alto sax/flute/soprano sax player and my sister said she just loves Kenny G. They who we were with were all music teachers/performers. Go figure. Must be true if my sister says so! (she plays piano/sings)

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
  4. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I quite liked the unwanted song. As an exercise it was fun.
    Is it too much to expect artistic merit as well? Although to be fair, that wasn't the point of it.
    I find it a bit sad that the majority of folk just want to hear what they've heard before. The familiar, the unchallenging, the unthreatening, the song that you can sing along to even though you've never heard it before because it's just like all the others.
    One of our local radio stations used to promote themselves as 'The station where you know every song.' Sounds like death to me.
    Yes, I'm always keen to hear something I haven't heard before. Doesn't mean I'll like it but it's always a thrill to get the 'what's that sound' feeling.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A banjo works sometimes with the bluegrass genre as does a cowbell, but I've yet to make a trumpet work with it. A trumpet pure sound just doesn't do it in bluegrass.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's an on-going debate - both external and with one's self. Until the last ten or fifteen years, I tended to think that a lot of music became really (and enduringely) popular because it was really good. (I feel no shame at spending a stack of money to go and see the Eagles next weekend.)

OTOH, try as I might, I find it hard to get into many modern forms - hip hop, drum and bass (WTF? - musician-free music :-) ) and some of the mindless commercial stuff.

Apparently Stravinsky had some issues because he broke a few rules, but it's hard to imagine the "doof-doof" music that I'm actively avoiding being memorable in 50 years time.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    How about drum and bassoons? Lead bassoons are okay aren't they?

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bassoons are cool. I get to do a duet with a hot bassoon player in my community band (Baby It's Cold Outside) - total acoustic miss-match, but great fun to gaze into her eyes and play :-)

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I dunno, I can go either way. Depending on what part of the week, time of day, and so on, I may really want something that's musically interesting, new and challenging. Other times, I want the old and familiar, sometimes the stuff of youth and nostalgia, and then sometimes I just want a cheap joy ride with a really cool hook so I can quickly convert my steering wheel into a drum kit.

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Bassoons are cool. Maybe its just the particular experiences I've had in my past in groups with them, but they always seemed to be the most temperamental and exasperating contraptions to play. My hats off to anyone who can make one sound civil. Best wishes.