The "must have books"?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Jan 10, 2011.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

ha ha :thumbsup:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Arban's and a book I think is out of print, "Trumpet Quest" by Max Morley.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I know putting Playboy as a necessary book might seem silly but allow me to explain:
    The articles about jazz are really informative. I've enjoyed getting informed for more years than I can count. An absolute must see.......errr...read journal!
    --
    But seriously, I do have a small picture of a supermodel (tasteful and in a binkini) pasted on my music stand and when I can't find any inspiration, I look at her and it helps. She's been there for years and if I just can't get my head into working on a particular piece, I pretend I'm playing to her.
    What's the "so what to this tid bit of info?"
    The more I learn about music, the more I'm convinced that without imagination, music is just another noise..
    To support my point:
    Cut out a small "tasteful" picture of someone very attractive (actress/actor/supermodel/) and clip it on your music stand. When you're standing there not wanting to practice or you just can't get your head in the game, look at your picture and play to it.
    Oh, and if you do this simple experiment, you'll thank me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    " clip it on your music stand " … hem … and remove it quickly if your wife is coming ! Seems a good idea, but so dangerous !

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Sometimes the reward outweighs the punishment.

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I still think the Colins is best thing aound for lip flexibility exercises.:-)

7. smcphetrige

smcphetrige New Friend

Jan 4, 2010
    If your wife is like mine you can just tape a picture of your spouse to the stand! It may sound corny, but I think my wife is a fox! I also really enjoy James Stamp's method book. I find it very helpful when I let my chops get out of shape, or when I have over-worked my chops.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I like your approach to risk/benefit analysis Markie...