the myth of "fast air"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by rowuk, May 2, 2008.

1. kalijah

kalijah New Friend

May 5, 2008
    Bixel if you want to "visualize" the air speed by making the aperture smaller and increasing the air pressure then that belongs in the "mental tricks" column.

This is a valid technique. If it works for you then great!

But since you are also changing the variables of aperture size and air pressure you can not qualify this as some purely mechanical "explaination" that air velocity determines (or influences) pitch. That would be a faulty conclusion if you are indeed interested in the pure mechanics.

Dont worry about it. No one will judge your playing by your ability to spout popular explainatins of "air speed = pitch" so don't waste your time with them.

Playing is an art. You do know how YOU play because it is evident by the music.

You will NEVER be able to determine the air velocity so don't be concerned.

Thanks.

2. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    kalijah, thanks for your blessing!
    I do appreciate that.

Thanks to the Norwegian clown, too.

:-P

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is amazing how the myths can become self fulfilling. Kalijah, I thank you for a VERY easily understood take on reality. The message for 2010:

"Playing is an art. You do know how YOU play because it is evident by the music.

You will NEVER be able to determine the air velocity so don't be concerned."

brought to you by Kalijah!

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
  5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ah, the age-old debate resurfaces. I have supported kalijah before and of course rowuk can explain himself well too.

It's a resonant system. Repeat that to yourself however long it takes to believe it.

A lot of the metaphors used in the past 150 years are... metaphors. Not science.

Operationally, if it helps you to envision some metaphor to play better, then by all means!

I don't really believe that I am flapping sails on Lake Michigan when I play my trumpet.

Tom

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    You're welcome, and welcome to TM! [​IMG]

7. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Thank you, Markie, for that link!
    I knew that site before.
    I fear it doesn't help in this discussion though.

For shure it's all about resonance.
    But what causes resonance?
    Movement of air through human lips with certain air pressure and a certain lip tension causing a certain air flow and a certain air velocity so that the lips start vibrating, triggering both loudness and pitch.

Whether one calls it different air pressures or air velocity - in the end to me it's two sides of the same coin: one thing cannot happen without the other.

And yes, in the end it's art - mechanics are not important.
    But still fun to play with.

;-)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. kalijah

kalijah New Friend

May 5, 2008
    The instrument is the source of resonance. The player is the source of the sound power via air pressure. Flow dependes on the horn acoustics in a dominant way and is required.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As we have posted before, the trumpet is not making the sound of our lips louder like a megaphone. The vibrating lip get standing waves set up in the horn and that is the trumpet sound that we perceive. When our playing corresponds to what the HORN wants to do, we get good results. When we work too hard due to lack of practice or bad habits, the horn fights back. Efficiency makes the experience fun. Loudness and pitch are satisfactory only when we have learned to cooperate with the resonant structure.

10. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Thanks for the response Kalijah. That is a very interesting concept of allowing the tongue to rise as I ascend instead using the tongue to create the ascension. I think it works for me mostly because it keeps me from pushing and forcing and just allows me to relax and let the horn do what it is supposed to do. Thanks for the journal article...very cool.