the myth of "fast air"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by rowuk, May 2, 2008.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    Ok - overthinking may be bad. But why not just say that - it was more the disrespect that was unnecessary. I think its possible to discuss these things, and then go and just play naturally without over thinking, esp at a gig or rehearsel - just concentrate on the music. And the thinking may help certain aspects of our practice which eventually filters through into our performances by setting up good habits. Not thinking enough may allow bad habits to form in some players IMO.

2. FrenchBesson

FrenchBesson Pianissimo User

Jul 2, 2008
    OK ..granted..no disrespect intended...just a few of how some see it.
    Maybe the old guys are just "brutal"..but don't stand in front of their bell.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your heavyweights comments were in fact questionable. Who said that every discourse on TM is for the brainless player that gets confused by the facts. Could it possibly be that there are people interested in the math, not necessarily to play better, but like with all things math, simply because it is there?

TM is not only here for players, it is here for scientists too.

Why not back up solid teaching with facts? I'll tell you why, there are too many heavyweights that are just too closed minded to accept facts because it challenges the myths that they teach. I learned long ago that there are many artists that play extremely well that have no idea what is really going on. They got lucky with some natural talent and hard work - not with having to fix a bad problem to get where they are. They only have their success with students that have most of the stuff figured out anyway.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    A lot of pro players don't like places like this because they get involved giving of there time and knowledge and then get in a pissing match with someone only to find out that the other person is in Jr. high, or something like that. So, they give advice like the stuff above.