The "new" Callet?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ScreaminTrumpet, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ScreaminTrumpet

ScreaminTrumpet New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    A friend of mine is looking into getting a new Jazz. He was told that some "changes" had been made to the new Callet horns. Another friend of ours had a Jazz that I personally thought was fantastic. What changes have been made to the Callet line. Being in the market for a new horn, this news has my curiousity peaked.

Thanks!

2. TheMoose

TheMoose Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    I am not aware of any changes that have been made to the Jazz at the factory where they are made. When Lee Adams recieves them he does play test each one before they go out to customers. One thing that Lee does do is some valve work that really makes them smooth. You can get more info at trumpetchops.com

3. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Lee Adams lives about five minutes from my house and I have played several Callets over the past few years. There have been no changes to the horns. They are still using the same mandrels and tooling that were used before Jerome Callet retired. They are still made for Lee by Kanstul as they were before. As they come in Lee plays them and may do a little tweaking but there are still the same great horns. The only real new thing is the new line of Mouthpieces that Lee has introduced.

Mike

4. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The Callet Jazz remains the same, however there have been some minor changes which have affected the "New" Callet Jazz trumpets, in a positive manner.

The first change was done before Jerry retired. Instead of the two post-type braces on the 3rd valve slide, there is a small plate, much like what was on the vintage Benge trumpets. As a result, there is more resonance, improved response, and better feedback behind the horn.

The most recent change has to do with the valves/valve guides, which now have a double slot. Only one side of the guide "locks" into a slot within the casing. This improvement "quiets" the valves/metal valve guides. In the past, this is something that has been a negative quality of the manufacturer's valves, and it's very nice to experience the change.

I think that it's important for us to know that the tradition of making innovative design mprovements, which Jerry Callet was known for, will continue. I hope that this clears things up a bit. Thanks!

Best always,
    Bruce

5. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    FYI... the latest shipment of Callet Jazz trumpets has finally arrived!

There was a huge delay, prior to ITG... probably had something to do with "global warming", I'm sure. :roll:

Anyways, if you're interested in a Callet Jazz please contact me. Thanks!

Best always,
    Bruce