The New 'J' Series WT Tuning Slides ARE HERE NOW !!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Flip Oakes, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Oceanside, CA USA
    For All Wild Thing Owners !!

The All New 'J' Tuning Slides For The Jazz Player

They're available in all the 4 different sizes just as the standard tuning slides are.

How do they differ?

They look like all the other standard Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet Slides, but they don't have the brace from the upper to lower leg. The sizes 1-4 also run the same as to design of the standard round tuning slides.

So What Makes Them So Different?

Where the standard tuning slides all offer strong defined resonance in sound, and strong slotting. with strong and more definite parameters, which makes great for all kinds of playing, The New 'J' series slides offer more flexibility, with a totally different feel, and feel of resistance, just great for Jazz !!

The New 'J' Slides change the feel, and allows the Wild Thing to be even more flexible. The slots are not as pronounced, allows for more fluidity in playing fast jazz type lines. The resistance, is also different, as there is a soft gentle wall, that can easily be blown through in all ranges.

These New J series tuning slides will give you, more real variables to use for different size rooms, and for different acoustics. It's not so much which one plays better, it's now you have more options. It's like having a dial on the horn as to feel, and the size, and shape of sound. For The Jazz Player, this is a dream come true. Available in 4 different sizes. J1, J2, J3. and J4.

#J2 is bright, and adventurous. The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible, very focused.

#J3 is somewhat more open then J2, and perhaps a little more crisp. The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible, bright and focused.

#J4 Is more open then the #3, and it's a Strong BOLD Sound with Edge. This is a very strong open sound, again The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible. Focused but with a larger core.

#J1 Is the most open. It's a Strong Sound with Edge, and tons of carrying power. This is the strongest open sound, again The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through. Again the upper register is incredible. Focused but with a even larger core.

These slides now make the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet the most versatile Trumpet ever made. Eight very different trumpets all in ONE !!

You won't believe until you try it............

All The Best,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes “Wild Thing Trumpetsâ€
    COME AND HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
    http://www.flipoakes.com

"To read what Wild Thing owners say about their horns, click on this"
    http://www.flipoakes.com/testimonials.htm

Flip Oakes
    2559 Mottino Dr.
    Oceanside, Ca. 92056
    760-643-1501
    760-643-1511 FAX

To Hear the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet go to
    http://www.flipoakes.com/multimedia.htm

2. jazzman54

jazzman54 New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    How can you change these playing characteristics with just the switch of a tuning slide. what kind of R and D did you have to do to figure this out?

3. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Maybe they're the same as the new tuningslides Zues is going to offer for their horns? Couldn't help noticing that Zachary Music introduced something similar a few weeks ago. Has Zig found a new toy?

4. Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Oceanside, CA USA
  5. Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Oceanside, CA USA
    I simply made up some proto types, and played them.....

Take care,

Flip Oakes
    Flip Oakes “Wild Thing Trumpetsâ€

Flip Oakes
    2559 Mottino Dr.
    Oceanside, Ca. 92056
    760-643-1501
    760-643-1511 FAX

6. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Didn't mean to stir up a fight and all that jazz. Was just wondering...
    Flip, if you would be so kind, tell me more about you're C horn.

Jeroen.

7. Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Oceanside, CA USA
    Didn't mean to stir up a fight and all that jazz. Was just wondering...
    Flip, if you would be so kind, tell me more about you're C horn.

Jeroen.[/quote]

Hello Jeroen,

Announcing Flip Oakes 'C' Trumpet !

http://www.flipoakes.com/c_trumpet.htm

Having developed the Bb 'Wild Thing Trumpet and Cornet' Customers have asked if there were going to be a similar 'C' trumpet with the same playing
    characteristics.

It's Now Officially Here !!!

Designed for the most discriminating trumpet player who is looking for a
    rich, full bodied, open, free blowing enveloping sound.

The Flip Oakes C Trumpet design allows freedom to play more expressively than other standard designs.

Its response is incredibly fast. Great flexibility, wonderful intonation,
    and tremendous carrying power, makes this such a unique C trumpet.

Although this truly unique design produces a very large teutonic sound with
    a huge core, it retains it's shape.

This instrument will meet the demands of the serious soloist. As well as the
    strong symphonic trumpet player at a very affordable price.

Prices include Two Tuning slides: one Round and one Square. Also included is
    a set of 3 heavy Bottom Caps and a Pro-Tek Single Case

If you have any more questions either about my horns, or how to order please just ask.....

Sincerely,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes "Wild Thing Trumpets"

Flip Oakes
    2559 Mottino Dr.
    Oceanside, Ca. 92056
    760-643-1501
    760-643-1511 FAX

8. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    WOW . . . and BUMMER!

I just got my personal set of four goldplated "J" slides for my GP Wild Thing (I already had a complete set of four original slides). I also received a new silverplated WT trumpet w/ four demo J slides in silverplate too at the same time (for sale and/or demo).

WOW #1 . . .

I'm really understanding how these four slides can dial in the "Thang" even more than ever! I REALLY LIKE what it allows me to do on my Wild Thing. Man, the slots are nice and slick and it is so easy to scream on 'em! The sound core is different too.

WOW #2 . . .

That silver WT trumpet is one awesome "Thang." What an easy blow, perfect scale and incredible altissimo register.

BUMMER . . .

I'm having to leave now to teach out of town and will have to do my real testing and evaluations when I return.

The real tests will be this weekend doing a combo job and a church musical. I can't wait!

For now I can say this . . . I suspect that WT owners will want to purchase at least the same size "J" slide that they are now using in the original slide . . . especially if they play Jazz.

More when I return.

Flip . . . you've done it again . . . making a "Wild Thing" even more versatile!!!

Warmest regards,

Tom

9. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hallelujah!!! My "gone all week," each week out-of-town training sessions are finally concluded and I'll be in town for several weeks!

As promised, I'll now be able to conduct some in-depth testing of all eight WT slides . . . and I'll review them a new thread.

GIG FOLLOW UP REPORT

I've been playing the #4 original slide a lot lately, so I took the new #4 "J" slide along for two gigs last weekend (but had to go out of town before I could write this).

#J4 IMPRESSIONS . . .

SLOTTING: Cool! The slots have been relaxed with the "J4" so bends, falls, etc. are really smooth. With the original slides each slot decending has it's own, same-sized (vertically and horizontally) and well-defined "step" (like stairs in a house).

With the "J4" each note was precisely there . . . but the "bumps" were gone, allowing super-smooth falls without each note decending "bumping" from note to note. In other words, the falls were smooth and seamless, almost trombone-like. For pop, contemporary and jazz styles this adds some extra flexibility and freedom to bend the notes to a greater extent. I really like what it allowed me to do easier!

BLOW: The blow feels about like it's "brother," the original #4. Maybe slightly more free. I really liked the "J4's" blow and response.

CORE AND SOUND: The "J" slides have a slightly different sound and core. Man, the fat core and big sound the "J4" gave me in the altissimo range floored me. I'm so familiar with my WT's sound that I was mightily impressed with the "J4's" huge body and core waaaaay "up there." The sound sparkled with power, but was huge and rich at the same time.

I ended one piece on a real fat Double D and the guitarist asked, "Man, what was THAT note?" I joked with him that the new slide had some really fat high notes that came inside it.

More on the J slides on another thread soon.

WILD THING OWNERS, I hope you all get a chance to try at least your favorite numbered "J" slide for your trumpet, especially if you play jazz, contemporary or pop styles. When you do, you will surely want one. These slides add four more, distinctive sound and performance options to a horn that's already the most versatile set up out there for the serious player.

Flip sent me an awesome new silver WT Bb trumpet with a complete set of silver "J" slides too, so I could have a demo set-up on the East coast. WT owners, contact me if you would like to check 'em out!

Tom Turner
    [email protected]

US Wild Thing rep.