The New yorker?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by newbie, Aug 19, 2008.

1. newbie

newbie New Friend

Aug 17, 2008
    My son is a new trumpet player and my husband found a trumpet for sale which says only "The New Yorker", with no model number (at least that I can find) is this worth tuning up or giving away? Thanks Cat

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hard to say. Could you post any pics (from Flickr or the like)? Does it seem old? Is it silver or brass color? Do the pistions move up and down ok, the valve slides pull out? Any major dents? Many years ago the Gretsch Music Company sold a model called the New Yorker, But I think it had the Gretsch name on the bell also. If it is a new looking horn, it may be some Chinese made horn of dubious quality. They use all sorts of seemily recognisible names to foreign buyers. No serial number on a valve casing? Maybe there might be a country of origin stamped some where on one of the tubes or around the leader pipe (where the Mouthpiece inserts)? I guess we need more info from you. Value judgements are tricky to make for someone else.:-)

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    We need some more details here.

4. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I just got one of these "New Yorker" horns off ebay,it was delivered yesterday. I will get a picture link posted soon. It has no serial number or country of origin on it. Nothing on the reciever and only the valves numbers on the casing this one happens to have the valve numbers 49-50-51 with a dot beneath the #2 valve number 50. It is a small bore peashooter style horn similar to the one I found pictured on horn-u-copia but not just like it. The tuning slide has index marks on both tubes with a capital A next to the lower tube index line. I assume the horn would be a Bb-A. This horn is in pretty fair shape except the leadpipe has been replaced and the first brace does not match the rest of the braces on the horn. The valves are bottom sprung with a stop half way up the valve stem the felts sit on. I have not seen this setup for the felts before but that could be a sign of what company may have produced this horn if it is a stecil line. Maybe others are familiar with this method. If you go way down on the horn-u-copia page to the makers that start with "N" you can find a picture of a "New Yorker" model.

Tom Hodges

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The only way to tell if it is any good is to have an experience tumpeter play it. If it were a brand name like Bach, Conn, Yamaha, Blessing , etc. this would not be an issue. Mt personal feelings are if the company isn't going to put a serial #, model or brand name on the horn it's not worth having.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Take out the valves and the tuning slides. Do you see brass flashing blocking the tubing entering the valve casings?

7. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I have seen many horns with serial numbers etc. that were not worth having either.I have also seen Bach's,Conn's Yamahas etc. that were no better made than this one. Actually I have some of those but it is a far better horn than the Chinese made one I got off ebay awhile back and gave it away. It certainly is not a pro level horn. I was asking about the origins of it as far as who may have manufactured it.
    Mr. stchasking I see no flashing at any of those three locations.The connections of the tubing appear to have clean brazing seams. It actually seems to be fairly well made. The ports in the valves seem to line up very well also.
    This horn is from a band rental company that went out of business,the company had several horns of different brands and models that sold on ebay at the time I purchased this one. The case for this one was marked loaner. So I am sure it is not a top quality horn but I would think it would need to be a work horse that could take a lot of passing around without falling apart. The one pictured on horn-u-copia appeared to have the third valve slide with a fixed pinky ring and offset slide tubes as a pro model horn would have, my horn does not, mine appears to be a student model setup with a removable slide ring,possibly for a lyre for marching band,and the third valve slide is even and way out at the ends of the case tubes past the ring attachment.
    I will take some pictures of the valves tomorrow and set up a picture page on one of the sites to link to here. Maybe someone will recognize the way they are made.

Tom Hodges

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tom,
    older horns can only be measured by what life is left in them. If it sounds good, is in tune and easy to play, then it is worth investing a bit. In that respect it is insignificant if it says Bach, Bundy, Olds Ambassador, New Yorker, or M16 on the bell..............